Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Automate Email

Posted 04 Oct 2004 10:38:51
has voted
04 Oct 2004 10:38:51 Lewis Killorn posted:
I have a bookings database and want to automatically send an email reminder to customers who have booked the day before their booking is due.

I plan to use the DMXZone Smart Mailer component to put the emaiol together.

Can anyone advise me if their is a way to get the server to automatically send out the reminders.

Replies

Replied 04 Oct 2004 20:37:25
04 Oct 2004 20:37:25 Rene Bandsma replied:
Don't think that this is possible with ASP. ASP (and also other languages such as PHP, CF, .NET) are scriptlanguages where the content will be loaded from the server by the internet (intranet). You should always open an webpage what contains ASP (or other server-side scripting) that is checking values and then sends some e-mail.

With a scripting language it is not possible to let ir run on the background. You should consider to write something in Visual Basic or an other program where you can write programs in.

I'm not sure what the possibilities are with ASP.NET in combination with services and so on... maybe it is possible with the .NET framework, have not enough experience.
Replied 23 Aug 2012 13:27:49
23 Aug 2012 13:27:49 justin dallas replied:
Im no hardcore programmer at all .. but, If you check the system daily - you could always add a recordset filtering by date()-1 ? that will give you tomorrow date & send based on those results ... possibly have an auto-update function that shows if that person was reminded (ie: insert YES to remindappt field?)

Would sure be nice to automate like your original post ... but, alas, we have to create workarounds

Best of luck!
Replied 11 Oct 2012 20:56:43
11 Oct 2012 20:56:43 MX Addict replied:
It only works when someone trigger a certain page to send the email.

Otherwise you need to create scheduled task on a server and calls a vbs script at your webserver like. below a url.vbs script.

Call Send_HTTP_Request()

Sub Send_HTTP_Request()

'Force the script to finish on an error.
                On Error Resume Next

'Declare variables
                Dim objRequest
                Dim URL

Set objRequest = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

'Put together the URL link appending the Variables.
                URL = "http://www.your-email-page.asp"

'Open the HTTP request and pass the URL to the objRequest object
                objRequest.open "GET", URL , false

'Send the HTML Request
                objRequest.Send

'Set the object to nothing
                Set objRequest = Nothing

End Sub

Replied 31 Oct 2012 01:08:53
31 Oct 2012 01:08:53 franklin homas replied:
We ship to about 10-20 customers each day, we are a growing business, and we need a way to not have to send tracking information to each customer manually.
click this link
Replied 06 Nov 2012 05:35:42
06 Nov 2012 05:35:42 Candace Hough replied:
great

Reply to this topic