Posted 18 Nov 2002 02:46:10
has voted
18 Nov 2002 02:46:10 Owen Eastwick posted:
Hi,

I'm looking for a good US based web host with the follwing features:

Windows 2000/IIS5
ASP and ASP.NET (ASP.NET not essential)
SQL Server 2000
50Mb of webspace will be fine but would like the option of 100Mb and up for the SQL Server database.

Initially I'm looking for a Shared Server solution but need a host that will allow us to move up to a dedicated, managed solution later if things go well.

Looking to keep costs as low as possible to start with but need good site performance, so no cheap overpopulated servers with hundreds of databases crammed on the SQL Server.

If you have found a good host in the US post a link for me to take a look at.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo

Replies

Replied 18 Nov 2002 09:37:09
18 Nov 2002 09:37:09 Martha Graham replied:
Try www.whtech.net

I have used it and was happy with their support and prizes.

Martha Graham
Replied 19 Nov 2002 02:01:58
19 Nov 2002 02:01:58 Mike Mitchell replied:
www.hostik.com might be a beter solution than the previous one listed.
There is also www.shanje.com, which I use and am very happy with.
Replied 19 Nov 2002 06:59:45
19 Nov 2002 06:59:45 Rikard Krvaric replied:
I would use Webhost4life!
They have plans starting at $9.95/month, with over 100 Megs of space, ASP, PHP, SQL Server, MySQL, Access, and sitting on the Fastest Connection to the Internet according to CNET.com. They also have Very Quick turnaround time on techsupport, and support multiple domain names/mail accounts under same account.

www.webhost4life.com/default.asp?refid=fairlight

Try Them out...

You've Been Blasted by King Richard
Replied 19 Nov 2002 14:08:09
19 Nov 2002 14:08:09 Owen Eastwick replied:
King Richard,

Do you have any personal experience of Webhost4life? Their prices seem a little bit too good to be true.

I have tried a couple of very highly rated, according to the Host search directores, hosts offering vast amounts of space and all the features you could possibly want for very little money. From the ones I've tried I have found that these incredibly cheap, highly publicised hosts vastly over populate both the web and database servers and that site performance is terrible and technical support either useless or virtually non existant.

Regards

Owen.

www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 19 Nov 2002 17:04:19
19 Nov 2002 17:04:19 Brent Colflesh replied:
Dear Owen,
If you have the cash, or can bill for it, the best host that matches your requirements is Maximum ASP:

www.maximumasp.com

If you don't need .NET, you can always dick around with the lesser mainstream hosts - Interland, Rackspace, etc...

Regards,
Brent

Replied 19 Nov 2002 17:38:54
19 Nov 2002 17:38:54 Owen Eastwick replied:
Hi Brent,

Thanks, I looked at MaximumASP, they are a little too expensive and only offer the one plan. I was thinking in the region of $50 - $100 per month to start with. If and when the site started to get more traffic and generate some income then I'd like the option to move up through a series of better plans and eventually, if necessary, to a dedicated server plan.

As an aside - one thing I have noteiced while looking around, MaximumASP included, is that many companies offer vast ammounts of web space, but quite a small database sizes. What the hell is anyone going to do with 2000Mb of web space. The largest site I have built to date is about 300 pages and takes up less than 4 Mb of disk space. On this basis it would take 125,000 pages to fill that space, probably more pages than I could build in a lifetime. On the other hand I can imageine building a site that captures and stores a lot of information that could very rapidly fill a 100Mb of database.

Regards

Owen.

www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 13 May 2013 22:04:26
13 May 2013 22:04:26 Jamie Lynn replied:
Owen,

I have been using this dedicated server hosting site to help.

www.1and1.com/benefits-of-dedicated-server-hosting

benefits include:
1. A complete server to yourself
2. Control your own server the way it best suits your domains
3. 1&1 Recovey Tool assures that your server data is constantly protected

I hope this information will be useful.

Reply to this topic