Forums

This topic is locked

Slow rollover images

Posted 20 Jul 2004 08:59:19
has voted
20 Jul 2004 08:59:19 Little Waz posted:
Greetings,

I'm definitely a newbie as far as Dreamweaver goes, but I'm having fun developing my first web site. Unfortunately, I seem to be having some problems with rollover images/swap images. I'm using IE6, DW6 (Studio MX). The rollover images were created in Fireworks (6) in transferred to DW. They work fine locally, but once uploaded and viewed they act slowly. I've had the same problem viewing a tutorial online concerning swap images.

I've found answers concerning pre-loading the images (there is already a pre-load command in the header of the code relating to the rollver images) so I figured this was already taken care of. I also found a writeup stating relative, instead of absolute links should be used - but the probelm is I don't know where to access or even modify the abosoltue links. The only time I see the full link is in the browser or when I check to properties of the files online (Which I can't modify).

What am I doing wrong? I've read IE6 doesn't load files from the cache and that is perhaps my problem. Help please.

Replies

Replied 20 Jul 2004 18:45:29
20 Jul 2004 18:45:29 Dave Thomas replied:
your links wont be absolute if you've used fireworks and exported them, they will be relative, unless when you inserted them into the dw page you made them absolute i wouldnt worry about that bit.

browsers and isp's all use caches differently.

how big are the images you are generating in kb? sounds more like a size issue than anything else to me.

Regards,
Dave

[DWMX 2004]|[FlashMX 2004 Pro]|[SQL]|[Access2000]|[ASP/VBScript]|[XP-Pro]
Replied 20 Jul 2004 23:47:04
20 Jul 2004 23:47:04 Little Waz replied:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes...I did export the images/rollover buttons from fireworks. The rollover buttons that are slow are only small - the whole navbar is only is only about 40kb - and the only thing changing on the buttons is the text colour. Each button image is only about 1Kb, so should be like any other rollover should it not?

Could it be the way my browser is set up? I don't remember any other site's links being slow to rollover - except like I said, on a tutorial about swap images - weird!

Thanks

Reply to this topic