Forums

This topic is locked

DIE HARD TEMPLATE QUESTION

Posted 27 Jun 2006 11:30:24
has voted
27 Jun 2006 11:30:24 Raquel Poh posted:
Hey anyone out there! I've created a so called "template" because from my experience, a frame doesnt allow any drop down to appear across frames. Now that i have ceated a template (somethings which i have never done in my life) all more problems start to occur.

Take for example:

1) I created the drop down menu in the template it does work but ther were errors when i tried to update the template in the other webpages.

The error is : "You are attempting to edit a pop-up menu in an unsaved document. This could cause your menus to appear incorrectly( or not at all) when the documnet is previewed in a browser...."

Thing is , i have saved the document so which are they pointing at specifically?

2) I used to be able to have colour for my scrolldown bar when i was using frames but when i edited the codes into the template it just couldnt work . Is it because the codes actually clash???

Lastly, am i able to make the left layer stay fixed ( like using a frame) in my template??? If so, will i be able to see a colour scrollbar again?

I know this is too much to ask but i do really neeed help .... I'm using dreamweaver 8.

Replies

Replied 28 Jun 2006 06:43:05
28 Jun 2006 06:43:05 Shell Richer replied:
Hi, not a 100% from your post as to exactly what you are doing but if you want to have a template then:
1. Create a "master" template and save, it must be saved in the "template" folder which DW8 will create automatically if you save it properly as a template, which is a .dwt extension.
2. Open your template and either make a "nested" template (for different sections of the web site for example) or just save as an html page. This is how you do this.
Go to "file" "new" and click, when "New from Template" window opens choose your site name and then choose the template you want to create the page from, any template you have should be listed in this window.
Now you have a new document with no name and no extension (untitled..) but you can see in the upper right hand corner of the page the name of the template it is attached to.
Now do a "save as" and save the document as an .html file and you have a child of your "parent" or "master" template.
You can have a "master" .html page which is attachted to your template but left blank as far as content and you can create all pages from this one by doing a "save as" as an option to doing a "file, new" from your template every time you want a new page.
For menus and such I would use includes.
Replied 28 Jun 2006 07:15:15
28 Jun 2006 07:15:15 Raquel Poh replied:
Thanks alot there!!! You did make me realise somethings i didn't actually know. Great help !!!
Replied 28 Jun 2006 07:19:01
28 Jun 2006 07:19:01 Shell Richer replied:
you're welcome!

Reply to this topic