Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

filter by query

Posted 15 Sep 2001 15:23:46
has voted
15 Sep 2001 15:23:46 jon badda posted:
Perhaps this problem of mine is all too clear to be considered a problem, but im having trouble getting my head around it.

Im wanting to filter a recordset by a query that is passed from the previous page

ie: whatever.asp?components

im pretty sure that im halfway there, it just doesnt seem to be working my end...

a clue to the sql on filtering the db would be good...or should this a SQL forum post?

any help would be great

thanks

Replies

Replied 15 Sep 2001 15:58:52
15 Sep 2001 15:58:52 Owen Eastwick replied:
In the simple view of the recordset options select the Field name you want to filter, then the criteria, For example:

=, >, <, >=, <=, <> for numeric values.

begins with, ends with or contains for text strings.

Then select URL parameter to perform a Request.QueryString.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 17 Sep 2001 14:40:11
17 Sep 2001 14:40:11 jon badda replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
In the simple view of the recordset options select the Field name you want to filter, then the criteria, For example:

=, &gt;, &lt;, &gt;=, &lt;=, &lt;&gt; for numeric values.

begins with, ends with or contains for text strings.

Then select URL parameter to perform a Request.QueryString.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Thats perhaps not what i was getting at.

what i meant was that if i put a
"&lt;a href="components.asp?whatever"&gt;click here &lt;/a&gt;

then can i get a database to filter by that word on another page?

is this just what you were talking about and im not getting it??grins.

any help would be good. thanks...

Replied 17 Sep 2001 14:46:57
17 Sep 2001 14:46:57 jon badda replied:
hey hye! i think i got it....

by having

whatever.asp?subcatID="comp" at the end of a link, and having the recordset filter by subcatID, it should work right?

im off to try it now...

Replied 17 Sep 2001 23:22:14
17 Sep 2001 23:22:14 Viktor Farcic replied:
Yeah, you got it.

Value ("comp" must be allways assigned to some variable (subcatID). Later, if you want to read that value you call variable that holds it.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hey hye! i think i got it....

by having

whatever.asp?subcatID="comp" at the end of a link, and having the recordset filter by subcatID, it should work right?

im off to try it now...

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Reply to this topic