Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Textarea Problem

Posted 27 Sep 2001 06:03:25
has voted
27 Sep 2001 06:03:25 Bryan Who posted:
Hello group I have a question for you after being with the group for about three weeks

I am trying to format a textarea. First I will ask for the easy fix, is there an extension to do this?
From where I have looked I don’t think that there is one. So My next question, I have looked at 4guysfromrolla.com and this is what I found

<%
Response.Write Replace(Request("MyTextBox", vbCrLf, "<BR>"
%>

You can look at what they put here. www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowFAQ.asp?FAQID=69
Now I am new to ASP and so I am learning it as I learn UltraDev. So what they are saying makes some since but not enough for me to know what to do. The text is going to be put onto a database and then it will be displayed on another page to be dislplayed. So does the text need to be put on to the page displaying the text or, doe it need to be put on the edit page that the text is going to be entered? Now I know that I am missing a lot of details so if you are needing to know more please ask me and I will post it.

You can see My test here.
www.htcomp.net/lastingimages/v.3/aspdemo.asp

Thank you in advanced

Alright lets try this again

Replies

Replied 27 Sep 2001 11:49:27
27 Sep 2001 11:49:27 Owen Eastwick replied:
Collect the text from a multi line text box and insert it into a memo field in the database.

Memo fields within the database will then retain any Line Breaks as vbCrLf (Visual Basic Carriage Return Line Feed)

When you wish to display the field complete with line breaks, drag it onto the page from the Data Bindings window as normal.

Then in code view modify it as follows:

From this - <%=(YourRecrdsetName.Fields.Item("YourMemoFieldName".Value)%>

To this - <%= Replace(YourRecrdsetName.Fields.Item("YourMemoFieldName".Value,VbCrLf,"<BR>"%>

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo

Edited by - oeastwick on 09/27/2001 11:50:25
Replied 27 Sep 2001 18:55:49
27 Sep 2001 18:55:49 Bryan Who replied:
YES! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. It worked! I was up till 3:00 am trying to get that darn thing to work. You are great!
Thank You again

Alright lets try this again

Reply to this topic