Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

Recordset vs Command Object

Posted 22 Oct 2001 02:16:07
has voted
22 Oct 2001 02:16:07 Michael Rudge posted:
What is the cost/benefit of using a Command object to do an insert (like my other post) or using the recordset object.
Thanks

Michael Rudge

Replies

Replied 22 Oct 2001 09:20:05
22 Oct 2001 09:20:05 Viktor Farcic replied:
Use of Command Object gives you more freedom then Insert Record Behavior. I'm using Command whenever I can't finish the job with standard behaviors (and that's more often then I'd like).

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
What is the cost/benefit of using a Command object to do an insert (like my other post) or using the recordset object.
Thanks

Michael Rudge
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Replied 22 Oct 2001 09:33:53
22 Oct 2001 09:33:53 Owen Eastwick replied:
The real benefit of Command Object is when it's used with MS SQL Server (or similar) in which you can create Stored Procedures within the Database itself. The web page only sends the values to the database which then uses the instruction within the Stored Procedure to carry out the Insert, Update, Delete or Select request. Less data goes back and forth through the Database connection, which should give a performance benefit.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo

Edited by - oeastwick on 10/22/2001 10:27:48

Reply to this topic