Forums

ASP

This topic is locked

ASP.NET, is this the new ASP release???

Posted 13 Nov 2001 15:33:27
has voted
13 Nov 2001 15:33:27 rubs eguan posted:
Hi you all, I'd like to know about your oppinions on the brand new Microsoft ASP.NET (at least here in europe). Last weekend I went to a computer event called SIMO in where there was a hudge Microsoft's stand.
I asked about the main features of this new release and sincerelly, I really got very surprised about what I was earing.
The main feature of ASP.NET is that is a non server interpreted language but a compliled one. Bassically what I understood was that the different between the two of them, was that while using traditional ASP you send a page to be interpreted by the server, the ASP.NET has a 1:n relation between the ASPX page and another compiled file stored in the server that runs the commands of the choosen language from the aspx page (VB, C#, C++...).
At this point I was wondering what will happen with VBScript, and all the developers that have spent lots of time learning it??? Will they have to learn the brand new object oriented VB languaje, or anyother else??
and also regarding to UD, how could this affect to Dreamweaver Ultradev, will Macromedia improve Ultradev, or this will only work with server interpreted languages like CF...?

Replies

Replied 13 Nov 2001 16:37:50
13 Nov 2001 16:37:50 Joel Martinez replied:
<microsoft:love>
ok, here's the skinny on .net... vbscript is pretty much gone. But that doesn't mean the the investment you've made is worthless. I've been using .Net for almost a year now, and if you really want to, you can code in almost the exact same fashion as "classic asp".
but, you have the option of using the much more powerful OOP features if you want. Also, objects and customer server controls (those are really cool) written in other languages (like c#) will work with others like VB.net. most of the syntax is the same, other than having the give type to your variables (dim str as string), and you still have access to the same asp objects (application, session, request, response).

as far as UD is concerned, version 4 does not support it, nor is there a server model out there for it (like phakt), but I have a feeling that the next version will probably support it (that's just a guess though).

if you're deciding wether to learn or not, I say take the plunge. the reason I say this, is because when you learn vb.net or c#, it's just a hop and a skip to jump to windows development (it's the same code... just a bit different thinking) visual studio.net is super easy to use.

anyways... I think the time investment is worth it, I've been working with it for about a year, and I love it, it's very powerful.
</microsoft:love>

Joel Martinez [ ]
----------
E-Commerce Concepts with Ultradev...pre-order yours at
www.basic-ultradev.com/ecomm_concepts/

Reply to this topic