Forums

This topic is locked

site previewer...is there such a thing?!

Posted 14 Apr 2002 14:40:24
has voted
14 Apr 2002 14:40:24 Ziggy Morley posted:
I have a very unique (or maybe not!) situation and problem. I'm posting here because 1) I didn't know what other topic to post this in! and 2)I wanted to take a moment to comment on what a GREAT site this is! Well, on to the task at hand.....

A friend of mine told me there is a utility or application that you can get to "shop" designs to clients without having the risk of your work stolen (e.g. graphics, html, etc). He told me that how it works, is that you import your finished site into the program and the program generates an EXE file that, when viewed, lets you view the site in it's intended state inside the Exe program. You can't save graphics, copy code, or ANYTHING. All you are allowed to do is view the site!

My obvious question is: Is there such a tool/program/utility? If so, does anyone have a link where I can download it?

I've been burned on some past projects where I've had clients back out of a site, only to find them using graphics that were constructed by ME and earlier, had been posted on my personal webspace in a site that I gave the client the "secret" link to. I usually did that so the client could see the "work in progress" and have the option to make decisions on stuff. This has worked for pretty well except for the situation I described above.

I know that if my graphics are used without my permission, I have legal recourse, but I'm looking for a solution (hence, the program) to prevent this from even happening in the first place!

Any help or offered download sites for ANY such 'site archiving" software would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

Replied 06 May 2002 13:24:05
06 May 2002 13:24:05 David Thomas replied:
Interesting question, I'm sure this would be a great benefit to a lot of us.

There must be something around, coz i have extraction software so surely there must be archiving software too.

I'm going for a sniff around... Did your friend give you any names, companies etc?

"Nobody ever said this stuff was easy"
Replied 07 May 2002 08:36:00
07 May 2002 08:36:00 Jean-Marie Bonnar replied:
Hi there!

I recently downloaded the Octo Site Compiler 2.0 demo version from the OctoGroup and was able to compile a site and generate an .exe for it within minutes. It was amazingly simple, and amazingly quick. Very impressive indeed. The potential possibilities that it creates are huge for me not only in distributing to clients in this way or on CD, or for archiving a site as it is delivered to the client, but also as far as designing a browser based compiled program that has its own built in ASP web server that can run many more concurrent connections than otherwise possible.

You can check it and related products out for yourself at www.octogroup.net.

Regards,

Jean-Marie

Reply to this topic