Forums

This topic is locked

Remotely alter SQL DB Structure with ASP

Posted 03 Jul 2002 18:30:18
has voted
03 Jul 2002 18:30:18 aegis kleais posted:
Anyone know of some good tutorials where I can CREATE tables / EDIT Tables / Delete Tables via ASP script since I don't have a static IP address, I can't login to the remote server and alter them there. My host told me "Just use ASP to alter the DB"

Makes sense and all, but I've never done this before. A tutorial site would be helpful. I'd need to know the structure as well as the successful response from the server upon completion of what I altered. Thx.

Replies

Replied 04 Jul 2002 10:40:15
04 Jul 2002 10:40:15 Julio Taylor replied:
You hosting compmany should provide a MySQLAdmin, panel, which is essentially a web-driven interface system to edit your data structures. This is an open source system (for PHP) which you can install on your local system.

the only other option is to create and alter your tables using a local mirror, and just upload the changes to the database (if you're using access) or using either telnet or MySQLmyAdmin if you're using MySQL.

It's your host's responsibility to provide a means to access your database. Either they map the DB to an IP address, or they provide a functional interface to do so. don't let them fuck you about.

------------------------
Poolio

MSN:

www.eliziumdesign.com
Replied 04 Jul 2002 19:58:48
04 Jul 2002 19:58:48 aegis kleais replied:
It's an SQL database. They provide a method if I have a static IP, but I don't, and it's running off of MS SQL, not mySQL; my bad for not clearing that up at the beginning

Reply to this topic