Forums

This topic is locked

SQL, MySQL, MS SQL ????

Posted 20 Aug 2002 20:05:28
has voted
20 Aug 2002 20:05:28 Philip Walker posted:
Okay. I used to using UD4 now but I have only built site's in ASP using Access for the database. I am embarking on a project for a site that is going to have a large subscription following, Forums, Quiz Generators, local guides etc etc and so I obviously need a a DB solution that pack more punch than Access. I have read another post on this forum that indicates that SQL server cost's big bucks. What I want to know is...

What are the benefits of MS SQL over My SQL. Where can I get the application servers from? Are they Free? and finally, what effect would installing them into IIS 5 have on my existing sites on the local host that connect to Access?

Any advise much appreciated.

P3|IIS 5.5 |WXP |45omhz|768Mb|UD4

Replies

Replied 21 Aug 2002 00:31:59
21 Aug 2002 00:31:59 chief monkey replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Okay. I used to using UD4 now but I have only built site's in ASP using Access for the database. I am embarking on a project for a site that is going to have a large subscription following, Forums, Quiz Generators, local guides etc etc and so I obviously need a a DB solution that pack more punch than Access. I have read another post on this forum that indicates that SQL server cost's big bucks. What I want to know is...

What are the benefits of MS SQL over My SQL. Where can I get the application servers from? Are they Free? and finally, what effect would installing them into IIS 5 have on my existing sites on the local host that connect to Access?

Any advise much appreciated.

P3|IIS 5.5 |WXP |45omhz|768Mb|UD4
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I am a big fan of MySQL but I have to say that I am growing more and more fond of Postgresql www.postgresql.org Postgres is a complete bitch to install on windows,infact you require cygwin and cygpic for it to work interbase is also a good open source solution www.borland.com/interbase/ and easier to install.

George

Everybody has got to be somewhere

Reply to this topic