Forums

This topic is locked

Suggestions Regarding making Relational Access DB

Posted 23 Aug 2002 17:08:12
has voted
23 Aug 2002 17:08:12 Tuan Hoang posted:
Greetings all:
I know this is not really an SQL post, but I didn't know where to ask about Microsoft Access and the creation of a DB. Anyways, my situation is this:
I'm trying to create a Biography Section for a Law Firm's website. Each Lawyer has name, office location, email, short description, areas of practice and publications.
Each Lawyer may belong to 1 or more areas of practice and has written several publications. Along with that, Each Area of Practice contains many of the Lawyers and some of the publications have several Lawyers who either wrote it or presented it. All suggestions about creating the Access tables would be greatly appreciated. This would then be displayed via ASP on a web page with clickable links such as when an area of practice for an attorney shows up on his bio, then the user could click on the area of practice to learn more about that area of practice, etc.

Replies

Replied 23 Aug 2002 20:51:27
23 Aug 2002 20:51:27 Owen Eastwick replied:
Set up a table of lawyers, a table of publications and a linking table in order to create a many to many relationship between the lawyer table and the publications table.

Take a quick look at the demo link below in which the database has a many to many relationship.

Regards

Owen.

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Database Search Tutorial:
www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo
Replied 23 Aug 2002 21:10:58
23 Aug 2002 21:10:58 Tuan Hoang replied:
Thanks for the response, Owen. I was looking for that Tutorial. I saw it before, but couldn't find it for some reason. Anyway, I was thinking I needed to do the many to many relationship, but is it possible to do 2 of them onto one table. I think I have to have a table for lawyers, a table for publications, and a table for practice areas. there can be several laywers in each practice area and several lawyers that have co-written a publication. I'm going to dig into that tutorial and see if I can adapt it for my purpose. Thanks again.

Reply to this topic