Free: Using Advanced HTML Editor to Create a Content Management System Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Cookies or sessions to pass login details ?

Asked 17 May 2004 10:52:42
has this question
17 May 2004 10:52:42 jim woolfe posted:
Realy usful tutorial. Thanks to matt I'm well on the way to developing a content management system for my site. One thing does not seem to work though. I put User Authentication > Restrict Access to Page on each page but every time I go to these pages I'm redirected. Now I'm new to all this php stuff. Other tutorials I've read suggest using cookies or sessions to pass login info to the new page. Would this be correct for matts setup or am I missing something ?

Also what a killer app this programe is . Withing a couple of hours I had a full blown test of my proposed content system working perfectly (once I took out the User Authentication ) with image upload, the lot

George you are the man !

Replies

Replied 17 May 2004 12:26:05
17 May 2004 12:26:05 Matt Machell replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I put User Authentication &gt; Restrict Access to Page on each page but every time I go to these pages I'm redirected. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Does this happen even if you log in using the login page? Check the Log In User behavior is properly applied.

Also, check that your server has session variables turned on. The PHP login behavior (if I remember correctly) relies on sessions being enabled, and they aren't always. You can check thsi by creating a simple PHP page with only the following code:

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>&lt;? phpinfo(); ?&gt; </font id=code></pre id=code>

and running it. There should be a section on the page produced about session variables and their config.

-Matt

DMX Zone Premium Content Author
Replied 18 May 2004 01:01:27
18 May 2004 01:01:27 jim woolfe replied:
Hi Matt
Thanks for your reply. Yes your suggestion was correct. I have to login first then all pages work fine. Pretty obvious really but you know how it is sometimes you can't see the wood from the trees

Thanks again

Jim

Reply to this topic