Free: Using Advanced HTML Editor to Create a Content Management System Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Doing it in Access

Asked 04 Jun 2004 02:28:40
has this question
04 Jun 2004 02:28:40 Frank Warwick posted:
OK, it looks good but considering the level required, it says <b>"This free tutorial is suitable for beginners"</b> and it requires an SQL database ..... and when you go to the link given, well.. its a new learning curve altogether and yet most have MS access can you turn out a version of this tutorial for an access database please. ...

oh yer, and how about being a bit more precise with the instructions, this is not really a <b>beginners</b> version at all but more a mid range tutorial, hey don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for the education but its like most tutorials turned out by advanced users, they don’t realise what others don’t know and <i>assume</i> far to much, the best thing to do is <i>assume</i> that everyone out there are a pack of morons and design the tutorial accordingly.

Anyway, even though I couldn’t get this tutorial to work I did learn a few things but I would love to get it right.

Replies

Replied 04 Jun 2004 13:37:40
04 Jun 2004 13:37:40 Matt Machell replied:
The problem with any tutorial is knowing how much to assume. You have to draw the line somewhere, and sadly that's bound to be at just the point that somebody somewhere needs.

Moving it to access isn't a huge leep though. Just remember that access has slightly different column types, so you'll need to use a memo (If I remember correctly) for the main news column and an autonumber for the id column.

Still, glad you found some use in the tutorial, even if it weasn't exactly what you needed.

-Matt

DMX Zone Premium Content Author
Replied 05 Jun 2004 04:29:57
05 Jun 2004 04:29:57 Frank Warwick replied:
Hi Matt and thanks for getting back to me on this.

As I have purchased Advanced HTML Editor I am not going to give up on this till I get it right.

I have decided to tackle this in PHP and MYsql instead of ASP and MSaccess and have almost everything working except for 1 thing. (which means I have not got it right at all...)

<b>1.</b> <i><u>news_add.php</u></i> - When I create the news item the date is displayed as 0000-00-00 I have set the table to news_date DATE NOT NULL DEFAULT CURDATE(), but if I go into PHPmyadmin and browse to the specific row, edit it I can set CURDATE and it come out ok but that is not the point of the exercise now is it.

I hope you can shed some light on this for me please.

thank you
- frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has a limit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - frankwarwick on 07 Jun 2004 02:30:19

Reply to this topic