Forums

CSS

This topic is locked

css layout missaligned when previewed in firefox

Posted 06 Feb 2006 05:04:52
has voted
06 Feb 2006 05:04:52 jp g posted:
hi there!

got a little problem with css. www.camainternational.com/mockup02/index.html -i used the "holy grail" of css layouts. 3 columns, center column is fluid. it renders properly on ie but not on opera and firefox. is it because i used tables as text container?

WYSIWYG

Replies

Replied 06 Feb 2006 22:15:51
06 Feb 2006 22:15:51 Russell Biscardine replied:
Most probably it is becaues of the use of divs that are positioned absolutley and relativley together. There are so many issues that affect the positioning of div elements on web pages in different browsers that I have all but abandoned them as positioning elements.

You are also making use of the "voice-family" hack. This will go away when ie7 is released as they are fixing the issues with the rendering of borders, padding and margins as well as other issues. If you make use of this hack, then you will have to rewrite the styles for this site to make it look correct in IE, let alone any other browser.

Sorry to rain on your parade, the site is clean and efficient, but I would avoid using hacks and divs as positioning elements. Tables may be old, but if it aint broke don't fix it.

Russ

www.code-z.co.uk

Edited by - Ru55e11B on 06 Feb 2006 22:18:02

Reply to this topic