Forums

This topic is locked

no results display when I search mysql

Posted 20 Mar 2007 06:11:29
has voted
20 Mar 2007 06:11:29 Amanda Rojas posted:
Hello!
When I search mysql database using the following code all I get is a white page. No results indicating there was any error or indication that the database or table couldn't be selected. What am I doing wrong? Any and all help will be greatly appriecated!

Thank you,
Amanda

<?php

DEFINE ('DB_USER', 'manda');
DEFINE ('DB_PASSWORD', '*****');
DEFINE ('DB_HOST', '**.***.**.***');
DEFINE ('DB_NAME', 'products');

$dbc = @mysql_connect (DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD) OR die ('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysql_error() );

@mysql_select_db (DB_NAME_ OR die ('Could not select the database; ' .
mysql_error() );
$search=$_POST["search"];

//get the mysql and store them in $result
//change whatevertable to the mysql table you're using
//change whatevercolumn to the column in the table you want to search
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM products WHERE item number LIKE '%$search%'";

//grab all the content
while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
//the format is $variable = $r["nameofmysqlcolumn"];
//modify these to match your mysql table columns

$image=$r["title"];
$item number=$r["message"];
$title=$r["who"];
$description=$r["date"];
$price=$r["time"];

//display the row
echo "$image <br> $item number <br> $title <br> $description | $price <br>";
}

?>

---Of course I put n the correct info for the database connection, I just substitued it when I pasted the script. All the rest of the script is exactly what I used

Replies

Replied 20 Mar 2007 16:40:49
20 Mar 2007 16:40:49 Alan C replied:
HI

try putting an echo statement in just after your query is formed, like . . .

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code> echo $search.'&lt;br /&gt;';</font id=code></pre id=code>

then you can see exactly what is going into the query, you may also have to re-write the query because you have single quotes around %$search% I don't think that $search will be evaluated

try

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code> LIKE '%'.$search.'%'</font id=code></pre id=code>

another way to look at the query to make sure it is correct would be to assign it to a variable like . . .

<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code> $query ='SELECT * FROM products WHERE item number LIKE %'.$select.'%';
echo $query.'&lt;br /&gt;';
$result=mysql_query($query);

</font id=code></pre id=code>

then take that query and use phpmyadmin to execute it directly on your tables if it doesn't work in the script.

BTW using the $_POST value directly lays you open sql injection attack - I don't know a lot about that but I've seen people saying not to use anything that comes in without checking it out first

Reply to this topic