Forums

This topic is locked

My links have gone all wrong

Posted 30 Mar 2007 15:20:31
has voted
30 Mar 2007 15:20:31 Mathew Risdon posted:
Hi there

Can any of you savy programmers help me? Now, I'm not a web professional or a programmer - so all replies is simple terms if at all possible please!!

My problem: I am building my site (Dreamweaver MX, windows XP) using a template. Up to a point all was fine but suddenly new pages (file>new>from template) are doing two very odd things.
1) they look totally different to the template
2) their links don't work at all - or if they do they fail to find the page.

I'm happy to supply any other information I can if you need to know more.
I'm keen to get this site up an running and this problem is really doing my head in.

Many thanks

mathew

Replies

Replied 22 Apr 2007 19:03:32
22 Apr 2007 19:03:32 Kenneth Halley replied:
is this a template you created , on of the ones in DW or a purchased template?

Links not working is usually a path problem- where do your links go if not to the correct page- what does it say in the status bar of the browser when you hover over a link?

cheers
Kenny

-----------------------------------
www.halleynet.co.uk
Replied 25 Apr 2007 10:08:16
25 Apr 2007 10:08:16 satheesh Dominic replied:
Try this:
When you want to add a new page to the template you have chosen...DO NOT go to the templates panel and add new pages. JUST save your current page as a different file and edit the contents on that page to make a sub page. THEN you should give links from the main home page to the newly saved file.

Note: by default, all the links will not be mentioned clearly in the template. So just edit them and make them direct to your destination page.

If this can not solve the problem....You may explain what is your particular situation in which this problem happens.

Edited by - satheeshkd on 25 Apr 2007 10:10:10

Reply to this topic