Forums

This topic is locked

How to disable ctrl/alt + Key combinations on web

Posted 29 May 2007 14:20:42
has voted
29 May 2007 14:20:42 satheesh Dominic posted:
How to disable ctrl/alt + Key combinations on web applications?

I have a popup window opened in fullscreen mode. But if someone presses the key combinations, ctrl + w or alt + F4 , this popup gets closed without any confirmation. I do not want the users to close the application unless they click a "close button image" .

I also would like to know if there is any easier way to make my web application load fullscreen other than opening that page in a popup window.

Please help me....

Replies

Replied 05 Jun 2007 00:26:35
05 Jun 2007 00:26:35 rokche bidermanoski replied:
Hehe, and what else would you like to do? Reboot the user's computer? AFAIK, there is absolutely NO way to disable Ctrl+Alt+Del or Alt+F4 (the first being a protective measure against remote logon in WinNT, the second natively embedded commands in every win program) and even if you managed to do it somehow, it would be called a browser hijack... I don't know about your other question, although i suspect the answer is the same...

I really have no idea what purpose this web app of yours serves, but i can tell you that I would absolutely never use one which force opens in full screen. So i figure it's used for some kind of ad/popup spamming.

I'm sorry if my answers didn't provide with desired solutions, but that just isn't the way things go in webdesign...
Replied 05 Jun 2007 07:21:24
05 Jun 2007 07:21:24 satheesh Dominic replied:
I went through your reply. Unfortunately, you really did not understand what I want. If I want to make the user's system to shut down....I've many other ways to do that...one of my friend is very good in that...he will do it for me.

But My need is something very simple. I'm doing an application(for accounting). My client does not want a very complex software for that so they asked me to do that in a very simple but attractive way...that's all.

Now, the need is something like this, when the application loads it will remain in the fullsreen mode. I'm making use of window.popup method to get the interface fullscreen...but since it is a popup, if the user presses ctrl+w or alt + F4 the pop will be closed without any confirmation loosing all the unsaved informations.... They do not want that. If this happens then the browser should confirm this closing action. The popup will close only if the user gives confirmation. This is my need...If you have got something to contribute on this you are most welcome....

Edited by - satheeshkd on 07 Jun 2007 07:30:45
Replied 06 Jun 2007 16:29:37
06 Jun 2007 16:29:37 rokche bidermanoski replied:
My apologies if I called You names, but that kind of behavior always makes me suspisious... I really don't believe that software should be alowed to behave in that way...

As far as solution to your problem, I know how I would go about it - I know it's probably not the answer you are looking for but it's the only one I can give. Apart from writing a full fledged accounting app that is.

Your approach to the solution doesn't fix another problem that is bound to occur - and that is data loss due to browser crash. If you remember the old times of Office 97 crashing all the time ("Save early, save often" i would reccomend that you make ajax script that updates database after each entered record... It's not really that hard and it enables you to leave the saving part altogether... If you think that database overload would present a problem, you can always save into a temporary database and update the database after a while.

The cheapest solution in my opinion would be to discourage the employees from doing it. Although I believe that most people who close browser windows with alt+f4 or crtl+alt+del, have a good enough reason to do so (read: spammmmmmm)...

I really have a problem believing that you can shut down a comp with a piece of software... And am willing to try anything that you have to throw my fay, short of activex. Not to mention that it encourages me to doubt your intentions. I'm probably the only foolish enough to argue about it, since no other user chose to contribute anything... Nor will I, from this point on...
Replied 07 Jun 2007 07:34:37
07 Jun 2007 07:34:37 satheesh Dominic replied:
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll am trying to integrate Ajax with my application....I'm not very good in that still let me try....

Thanks once again.

Edited by - satheeshkd on 14 Jun 2007 14:02:38

Reply to this topic