Forums

This topic is locked

Hosting other sites

Posted 27 Jul 2007 16:18:13
has voted
27 Jul 2007 16:18:13 peter jones posted:
Hi

I'm looking to host a friends site using from my webspace but being a relative newbie I am struggling. My service provider has said that I need to upgrade to a reseller but I have been told there are ways of getting around this.

What I would like is to have my URL www.mizsua.com plus his URL www.joesee.co.uk running from the same root. I have briefly looked at the redirect function and also domain mapping but having trouble kowing where to start.

Do I create a joesee page within my existing mizsua directory which then links to the remainding joesee pages within a folder within my mizsua directory? If so, how do I get the URL to appear as www.joesee.co.uk and not as a sub directory? i.e. www.mizsua.com/joesee/joesee_index.html

Thanks in advance
Mizsua

Replies

Replied 27 Jul 2007 21:54:28
27 Jul 2007 21:54:28 Alan C replied:
if you make both domain names 'point' to the same webspace then they will both serve the same files - so you will not see any difference between them.

depending on how your webspace is set up and the control panel you have (or don't have ) you can make one the domains point to different sub-directory, so your main domain name (yours) could point to the root level directory, and the other to a subdirectory. Then you can make friend.domain.co.uk go straight to the subdirectory, or access it as domain.co.uk/friend

however, with hosting space costing so little you would probably be better to split them off into two completely separate sites - it just makes life a lot easier.

Have a look at these cheap packages - so cheap you don't really want to do much messing about . . .
alanchard.com/hosting/index.htm
Replied 28 Jul 2007 17:22:10
28 Jul 2007 17:22:10 peter jones replied:
Thanks for the quick reply Alan. I a perfect world I would get my friend to get his own hosting package but he's a struggling artist so I would like to use mine for now.

I understand that I need two different locations for each site but want I need to know is how I can perform this. Do I have some code in the HTML of my friends site and do I also need some in my site? Also can I get his URL to display www.joesee.co.uk and not www.mizsua.com/joesee

Thanks in advance
peter
Replied 28 Jul 2007 20:39:38
28 Jul 2007 20:39:38 Alan C replied:
Hi Peter,
it's down to your hosting package really, rather than something on your pages.

What happens is that the domain name, like mizsua.com has domain name servers (dns)associated with it - usually you can access then via the place that you purchased the name. When people type mizsua.com into their browser it has to be converted into a reference to your site, which is where the dns entry comes in. That 'points' the name to your webspace.
When the request for a page comes to your webspace the server sends out the appropriate files.

So there are two places you can change things, the first is the dns entry, you can make both point to the same space, but as you found out, then they both serve the same files.

The other is on your hosting package, where you can often (but not always) set up a domain name to point to a subdirectory. The way to find out is to check the documentation and help files that are available from your hosting company - maybe put in a support request and ask them if you can do this thing.

There's another way you can handle this too, via the dns, but it's not so good really. Easily.co.uk used to offer this but I don't know if they still do. What you did was go to your domain name control panel, and set up redirection to a subdirectory in your hosting. Requests for the domain name were then shown in a frameset that had only one frame and the pages worked within that frame. It works fine, and thinking about your situation that's probably a good way to do what you want. The only disadvantage I know is that the url doesn't change as you navigate pages.
There may be other registrars that do this too, for this one you would check out the registrar with whom you have your names.

I appreciate the cost constraint, in the end it may just be cheaper to have a separate package, or maybe search around for a free host where you put your friend's site

Reply to this topic