Forums

CSS

This topic is locked

Adding additional pages using DW CS3 and CSS

Posted 29 Oct 2007 05:38:44
has voted
29 Oct 2007 05:38:44 Greg Heller posted:
I have created a web page using Dreamweaver CS3 and css. The first page is index.html and it uses an external stylesheet called qhstyles.css, I now want to add the next page in the website. Lets just call it Page2.html and I will link it also to the external stylesheet qhstyles.css. I create the new blank page in dreamweaver, save it as page2.html and link it to my stylesheet qhstyles.css. Is it normal for the new page (page2.html) to remain blank. i realize looking in code view that there is no HTML code except for the page description info at the top of the page and the head/body statements. Do I manually have to copy the html from the index page to page2?, should it automatically copy that over?, should I instead use templates, I am just confused, and after looking all over the web for the last few days for the info as to what to expect, I am totally stumped. I can find all sorts of info on creating your first page, but what about follow-on pages?, Does anyone know of a tutorial that covers this? Can someone point me in the right direction, with a step by step process, it doesn't have to be full of descriptive narrative just the major steps/substeps. I will be extremely grateful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Replied 30 Oct 2007 12:02:01
30 Oct 2007 12:02:01 Alan C replied:
Hi
one way to tackle this is to copy and paste the whole of the index.html page - in the files box at the bottom right, highlight the file index.html then do copy, paste, so you will get a copy that will be called copy of index.html, then you can rename it and edit it as you want.

Another way to get the same effect is to open index.html, then do save as, saving with the name you want.

Now you can strip out all the content you don't need, don't forget to change the page title, keywords and description too

The templates does it more elegantly, but if you only need a couple of copies then this is an easy way to do it
Replied 30 Oct 2007 14:10:43
30 Oct 2007 14:10:43 Greg Heller replied:
Thanks Alan: Thanks for the help, I guess I just expected that if I link a new page to my stylesheet it should automatically open up looking like the previous page that was designed. Thats really what templates are for, I found a really good explanation about using templates, and creating a templates folder, and using editable/noneditable regions. After looking over that, then the lightbulb came on.

Thanks again

Reply to this topic