Forums

CSS

This topic is locked

Going nuts. IE6 issue only.

Posted 13 Apr 2008 21:59:41
has voted
13 Apr 2008 21:59:41 Matt Kernes posted:
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. I've never really looked for help on IE6 stuff since being non-compliant is easier than being compliant. But I've really found something I'm stuck on.

So here's how it is: I've got my CSS dividing up my main page into 3 columns. Left, Right and Center is that order. In the center column, obviously, I have my main content with all the content organized by UL lists. This part is all fine and everything looks good in all browsers. However, I also have a search feature that uses AJAX to do an .innerHTML to another UL within the center column above the main content (thus pushing the content down and displaying the search results above it.) Problem is that in all browsers accept IE6, this works, but in IE6 it simply moves the entire center column below the right column. My thoughts were that it was "position:relative" issue, but adding relative didn't fix anything. I went as far (out of pure curiosity) as putting the position:relative on EVERY element in the search section...

I'm flustered. Has this happened to anyone? I've been working on this for 3 days straight and I can't figure it out at all.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt.

Replies

Replied 14 Apr 2008 06:50:08
14 Apr 2008 06:50:08 Richard H replied:
what about IE7???
Replied 15 Apr 2008 18:44:15
15 Apr 2008 18:44:15 Matt Kernes replied:
IE7 Works. What I ended up doing was going the low road: IE6 users get the search results in a Pop-up window explaining that because they use IE6, that's how they're getting their results. It's a huge slap in the face to them, but then again, using IE6 is a huge slap in the face to developers. I'm not going to make a site that is a very beautiful site be destroyed by a crappy browser that isn't even supported anymore.

Thanks for the reply.
Replied 20 Apr 2008 13:09:26
20 Apr 2008 13:09:26 student 101 replied:
Does it work in Firefox?
You could also use the if then else in css.

Not sure as I can't see any css but you could use this:

< !-- [if IE 6] >
< style type="text/css" >
#divname{
css-code-for-div;
}
< / style >
< ! [endif] -- >

If you use this, remove the extra spaces.

/* start rant */
{DMXzone} - Please fix the spaces, this forum has issues when using [code] tags, either the textarea [tags] work or remove them.
/* end rant */

Cheers

[DWMX 2004]|[DWMX 8]|[DW CS3]|[MySQL]|[SQL]|[Access ]|[ASP/VBScript]|[PHP]|[XP-Pro]

Reply to this topic