Forums

This topic is locked

<br style> doesn't work in DW8?

Posted 22 Apr 2008 19:01:41
has voted
22 Apr 2008 19:01:41 James Hammond posted:
Hi from a relative newbie.

I've got some commercial web templates and I notice that for, presumably, 'quickie' in-line use, they use the following combo in a number of places where a line break occurs:

&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br style="line height:12px" /&gt;

I've tried this in DW8, but it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of the line height value you put in, nothing changes, and only (I think) is the actual &lt;br /&gt; being observed. If you take it out and just leave the bracketed style stuff, there is no line break at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Does this only work with certain &lt;div&gt; or html code? Is it obsolete and not recognised by modern progs/browser?

Cheers
James

Replies

Replied 11 Aug 2009 17:52:18
11 Aug 2009 17:52:18 satheesh Dominic replied:
QuoteHi from a relative newbie.

I've got some commercial web templates and I notice that for, presumably, 'quickie' in-line use, they use the following combo in a number of places where a line break occurs:

<br /><br style="line height:12px" />

I've tried this in DW8, but it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of the line height value you put in, nothing changes, and only (I think) is the actual <br /> being observed. If you take it out and just leave the bracketed style stuff, there is no line break at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Does this only work with certain <div> or html code? Is it obsolete and not recognised by modern progs/browser?

Cheers
James

This is indeed a very good question!

There are number of other ways how you can achieve the same result.
applying "line-height:" does n't seems to work with <br /> tags. You may use "<div>" tag instead of "<br />"

The line height values needs to specified as follows:
style="line-height:12px;"
[forget not to put the "-" symbol between "line" and "height".]

NOTE: Even though W3C recommends "style" attribute as one of the standard attributes for "<br >" tag, this does n't seems to work! I wish, if some had explained, why it is so!

Edited by - satheesh Dominic on 11 Aug 2009  17:54:16

Reply to this topic