Forums

This topic is locked

Project Dilema

Posted 21 Oct 2009 12:34:21
has voted
21 Oct 2009 12:34:21 Andy None posted:
My background - Classic ASP developer using DW 8 (can up upgrade to CS4), Access Database.
Ok, i have the task of re-designing/developing our existing e-commerce website. The site is doing very well, but at some point it's going to need a revamp. It needs a new look (web 2.0 style) and a new, more robust database.
My first thoughts were to use MySQL (cus it's free) and i have already migrated all the tables from Access to MySQL. I realsise i need to work out how the Access DB Queries migrate over to MySQL and that some data types vary a little, so there still some work to do.
My dilema is, do i continue with MySQL and iron out all the issues along the way or do i go for MS SQL instead. I have no experience with either DB really and i'm wondering which is going to prove the least troublesome in the long run.
Now for the programming languase. Do i stick with what i know? (Classic ASP) or do i get to grips with .net, php, Coldfusion?
I don't have any issue with staying with classic ASP, so long as the migration and the end result is robust.
Decisions, decisions......
I'd appreciate you're thoughts and your own experiences.
Thanks in advance
Andy

Replies

Replied 21 Oct 2009 16:31:36
21 Oct 2009 16:31:36 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Andy,

I recently was going through the same!

For the database part I decided to swith from MS Access to MS SQL, because it is very similar to Access, easy to maintain, especially with the SQL Server Management Studio.
About the programming language. I think it is wise to learn another language besides Classic ASP. I tried ASP.NET but I found it hard to learn. PHP is easier to understand, coming from Classic ASP. CF is outdated so I would not advice that. I still think ASP.NET is something to learn!

Kind regards, Patrick
Replied 26 Oct 2009 12:47:29
26 Oct 2009 12:47:29 Andy None replied:
Thanks Patrick
Yes i think you're right about .net I've dipped my toe in but didn't really get stuck in to it. Then Dreamweaver stopped supporting it which made me think that it may not be the way forward. However, it is a language that is being used more and more so maybe i should put more effort in.
As you say, PHP may be the way forward as, again, it's becoming more common.
I'm going to take a good look at both MySQl and MS SQL. I'm guessing you only find out which is most suitable when you get your hands dirty.
Any other suggestions very welcome.
Regards
Andy
Replied 26 Oct 2009 15:54:44
26 Oct 2009 15:54:44 Patrick Julicher replied:
Hi Andy,

Good luck on your decision which way to go.

Kind regards, Patrick

Reply to this topic