Forums

This topic is locked

Database to run multiple websites

Posted 26 Oct 2009 13:00:05
has voted
26 Oct 2009 13:00:05 Andy None posted:
I'd like some advise or case studdies on running multiple websites from one database.
I'm looking to use either MySQL or MS SQL.
At the moment i'm using individual Access Databse's for each of our sites, but now the sites are growing, i would like to centralise the data. The sites are e-commerce, but i will also be creating microsites which are fed from the one database.
Another requirement is to pull data from our local Sage MS SQL database to feed live stock control of the e-commerce sites.
How feasible is this? and what security issues should i be thinking about?
In short, i want to use a robust DB to serve our websites (we rent virtual hosting from a local company)but also pull data from our Sage databse which we host internally).
A bit of a tough one i reckon, but hope to get some helpful replies.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Replies

Replied 25 Mar 2010 23:32:40
25 Mar 2010 23:32:40 Mark Kujoy replied:
Using a single database for multiple websites is very easy, and there are quite a few ways it can be done. You can also manage all the sites from a single CMS system.

If you are using PHP and dreamweaver, you can really only use MySQL, MSSQL is gonna cause you probems, theres no real off the shelf way to link PHP and MSSQL anymore.

ASP then you can use MSSQL and I think MySQL (its been a while)

Most hosts allow remote connections to the database, so you can connect to the database from a website your designng on your desktop. You can also use the same connection string on more than one site and if your careful with your table naming you can use the database for as many sites as you want.

You might want name your tables:
tbl_website_name_product_details

or something similar.

Or if you have more than one site using the same information you can vary what you pull out of the database using a recordset and sorting the information using an entered value that pulls the records you want without needing a querystring cookie or session value.

I build these kind of sites everyday so if you want a hand email me at

Edited by - Mark Kujoy on 25 Mar 2010  23:34:24

Edited by - Mark Kujoy on 25 Mar 2010  23:35:36

Edited by - Mark Kujoy on 25 Mar 2010  23:36:24
This reply was removed on 4/16/2012 8:51:49 AM.
See the changelog
This reply was removed on 4/16/2012 8:51:37 AM.
See the changelog
Replied 01 May 2012 08:43:46
01 May 2012 08:43:46 James Atkinsq replied:
I plan to make a buissness on the side that involves making and managing webpages for people.
Press Release Distribution Services
Replied 17 Oct 2012 05:56:57
17 Oct 2012 05:56:57 SANDRA MICHELLE replied:
I plan to make a buissness on the side that involves making and managing webpages for people.
breaking news
Replied 17 Oct 2012 05:59:53
17 Oct 2012 05:59:53 SANDRA MICHELLE replied:
breaking news
Replied 16 Jan 2013 10:08:56
16 Jan 2013 10:08:56 Tony Ford replied:
Hello,

I have searched all over the web for information on this myself. I am trying to setup multiple scripts that use a MySQL database which I want to use 1 for all scripts & some how share the registration information & memberships with all scripts. Every time I ask how some place I am told its not possible but I know it is because I have seen it in action before.

Example Database & User:

Databse Name: Data
Data User Name: User
Data User Pass: Pass

Say these are the values you have setup above & you want to use them for each script.

Example Scrits:

- PHP-Nuke
- 4Images Photo Gallery
- Advanced GuestBook
- x7 Chat
- Linkman Links Exchange
- Advark Toplist

Lets say all of the above are useing the same database name & user as we have created above. Now how would I go about setting things up so that when someone registers on the PHP-Nuke script they can then login on any of the others?

Does this make sense what I am asking? I really dont know how to make it any clearer about what I am asking & need here.

Thank you for any help!
Tony

PS: You can email me directly at

Reply to this topic