Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

DWCS4 - Problem with update record behaviour and file field

Posted 16 Apr 2010 21:29:11
has voted
16 Apr 2010 21:29:11 John Murphy posted:
In short: I can insert a record into a MySQL database using File Fields in Dreamweaver but I cannot updats that same field using file Field and update behavior...

Been looking for a quick visual fix for this problem for hours on the net and found nothing that really equates to the issue I am having.

- please bear in mind in replying that I have not done any dynamic dev work or programming for several years and the mind is foggy. Please reply visually as opposed to in code where possible.

Here is The problem - I am using a php/MySQL set up. I have a very simple database structure - in fact this solution uses only one table with 5 fields...

I have an insert record form as follows

Title: [Textbox] - text
Description: [Textbox] - text
Link URL File Field - varChar(100)
Thumb URL File Field - varChar(100)

My problem lies with the file fields and Update record behavoiur in DWCS4

Intilially the insert record does exacly what is expected. The user typeis in the Title and description and browses to the limk and thumb urls. The latter are returned to the database trucnated (ie without the full path info just file.jpg or file.html). I have had to had code the results pages to get the image to display and to create a clickable link... So far so good... I populate the database. The form update takes me to a records page which includes a link to an edit form where all is hunky dory. I discover a record is inaccurate and need to change it.

In the update record page I have the samwe structure as above... have created the record set and the update behaviou having first bound the textboxes and file fields to the relevant form fields..

When I click the edit link from the records page it takes me to this page aand drags in some of the data from the database - ie the values of the textbox variables only but nothing in the file field.

As with the insert record for... I have changed the info for the Title and Description and browsed for the URL files

I click update and find that the data passed from the textboxes has indeed updated but the file fields are now NULL or blank values in the database.

How do I go about provinding the user with a browseable solution that will actually return a value to the database?

I have troubleshooted by replacing one of the file fields with a text box and C&P the file name in there,,, and that updates just fine. Seems to be a broblem just the file field.

Hope someone can help -- I am sure the solution here is quite simple but I have been trying now for some 24 hours and have not been able to solve the riddle...

Thanking you in advance

PS on another note.. Don't know if it is just me but with DWCS4 - particularly is setting up a new site or browsing to a file.. I never get the the full link... and have to type in the file name manually. Or the remote server will just show localhost and not localhost/Sitename despite the fact you clicked on Sitename folder.... Never had these issues when DW was Macromedia!

Edited by - John Murphy on 17 Apr 2010  02:27:58

Replies

Replied 19 Apr 2010 20:10:04
19 Apr 2010 20:10:04 John Murphy replied:
'Is there anybody there?' said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champed the grasses
Of the forest's ferny floor.

- when things fo BUMP in the night....

Hope the experts and expert volunteers dont feel the solution to this is too easy for them and might kill a few braincells. I join forums because I need help (dsometimes urgently). I am often a totañ Newb in some cases - in others been working for years with an app but have a bug or a quirk that neds ironing out!

This thread was posted intially 3 days ago now and not a hint of a replym making me again question the value of forums.

- Am wondering if there is a good game on the telly.. The World Cup hasn't even started yet.... Lemming Fever perhaps... Forum a buzz for a few years and then a few cats got fat then nothing.....

Please, pretty please, expertos!!!
Replied 26 May 2010 10:17:46
26 May 2010 10:17:46 karl koucus replied:
cool staff, thanks for sharing .

Reply to this topic