Sliding Panels Support Product Page

Answered

Work dynamically with hundreds of photos???

Asked 07 Aug 2013 13:59:46
has this question
07 Aug 2013 13:59:46 S A M posted:
Anyone able to get this to work dynamically with hundreds of photos without lag and hesitation? I have a portfolio site www.jollysiendaweddingphotography.com that has hundreds of images. The page lags/hesitates when first loading and the animation is jittery. I have another site that uses a similar layout www.jollysiendaphotography.com but with less photos. It runs much more smoothly. Is there a way to get the sliding panels to run smoothly or to hide the images until they are fully loaded so that it eliminates the clumsy (UGLY) initial load?

Replies

Replied 07 Aug 2013 15:24:48
07 Aug 2013 15:24:48 Teodor Kuduschiev replied:
Hello,

We do not recommend using such a huge amount of images. This may also cause hitting the memory limit on tablets and mobile devices that will cause browser caching.
Replied 25 Nov 2013 14:22:01
25 Nov 2013 14:22:01 S A M replied:
I located another program which has the option to do "on-demand" image loading. Is this something that Sliding Panels will support? wowslider.com/rq/on-demand-image-loading-jquery-for-slideshow-1y.html I prefer using your extensions over other competitors.
Replied 30 Nov 2013 20:26:12
30 Nov 2013 20:26:12 Howard Walker Walker replied:
Memory constraints should not come into it, if the address data is loaded from a database and only dropped into a panel at the last minute. Currently thats not availabel - unless anyone else knows better. A database query that loads say 10 photos of a type using a repeat loop and dumps them into the panel should do the trick. Photos are only loaded slowly if they have to be processed live. If there was a way of using pre processed files that would speed things up. In psuedo code:
Repeat while there are photos in the current batch
read in a batch of size (maxsize)
slot them into sliding panels
show them
get the next batch.
Wont't work with the current extension, or will it?
Replied 30 Nov 2013 21:33:53
30 Nov 2013 21:33:53 S A M replied:
Hmmm... Very interesting. In going to play around, I'm not a complete novice, but I an self-taught so it will take me a bit longer to figure out the Max records and loop trick. Your pseudo-code is a great help and I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. You are awesome!
Replied 01 Dec 2013 00:16:20
01 Dec 2013 00:16:20 Howard Walker Walker replied:
Try This code when setting up a record set:
SELECT *
FROM phototable
ORDER BY Rand() LIMIT 25

This will select a random set of 25 photos from your database.
See a page that I’m working on at the moment – its roughly coded, but it will give you an idea.

www.tyneships2.co.uk/zebras/showships.php

Have fun
Howard
Replied 01 Dec 2013 00:26:12
01 Dec 2013 00:26:12 S A M replied:
Thank you so much. I will have a look. Things were a not easier when I worked in an office because I had other people to bounce ideas off of our to bum code from. But now that I'm flying solo I miss out on that. Thanks again!

Reply to this topic