This topic is locked

Using a variable in a t sql command line

Posted 18 Mar 2001 15:36:25
has voted
18 Mar 2001 15:36:25 Michael Moore posted:
ok here is the command
set VistaCollateral = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset"
VistaCollateral.ActiveConnection = MM_connCollateral_STRING
VistaCollateral.Source = "SELECT * FROM VistaCollateral WHERE Category LIKE svMnuCategory ORDER BY ProductID ASC"
-------left out the next few lines------
now, MS says this error is because column does not exist in the table. It does. If i do this command without a var... say a real value of svMnuCategory, it works fine. if i response.write the rsVista.source it is showing the svMnuCategory literally instead of seeing the value of the var svMnuCategory.
(using response.write).
Is it not possible to use a var in a t sql source command line? anybody know?
%>

Edited by - ecsmoore on 03/18/2001 15:52:12

Replies

Replied 18 Mar 2001 16:13:41
18 Mar 2001 16:13:41 Michael Moore replied:
never mind, i see my errors. the command source is quoted literal text therefore it has not way to know the svMnuCategory is a variable. i will have to go back and construct the command line in previous code.

Replied 18 Mar 2001 19:25:32
18 Mar 2001 19:25:32 Michael Moore replied:
[n case anyone is interested, here is the command line to fix the original problem.
VistaCollateral.Source = "SELECT * FROM VistaCollateral WHERE Category LIKE " +"'" + svMnuCategory +"'" + " ORDER BY ProductID ASC"
]
never mind, i see my errors. the command source is quoted literal text therefore it has not way to know the svMnuCategory is a variable. i will have to go back and construct the command line in previous code.

Reply to this topic