PHP

This topic is locked

A WYSIWYG Interface for Mac and MySql?

Posted 11 Sep 2001 00:02:39
has voted
11 Sep 2001 00:02:39 jefferis peterson posted:
This post is transferred from DW UD.
The main question is :
is there a corresponding product that helps with the database creation and management in MySql on a remote unix site [ or locally on Mac OSX] that is WYSIWYG?

Part of my problem is that I'm having trouble trying to create an intuitive workflow to integrate PHP with MySql. PHAkt seems like a good interface for creating the php code, but not for creating and managing the offsite database. ?

Older discussion:

I am breaking under the strain of trying to be a genius in too many fields. I come to this world as a designer and fine arts major who is forced to learn code, but I'm worn out trying to advance skills in Flash, 3D, etc. {I also use a Mac}.

What I'm crying for is a PHP/MySql WYSIWYG interface that would work like a local database [Filemaker Pro, Excel, etc].. I'm going brain dead trying to learn to program and UltraDev/ CF / ASP is not an answer because it is primarily a WIN NT and WIN PC solution and, my clients use Unix as a host.

Are there tools now or soon to come that will allow you to create a PHP/MySql interactive site with code like you can now with other programs or Filemaker?

I'm about to give up on web work I'm so overloaded. I'd need to go back to college for 4 years to catch up on what's going on now.

Waldo
Zone Founder

Eindhoven, The Nethe
1279 Posts Posted - 09/10/2001 :  00:47:27          
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jefferis, let me make you happy: www.interakt.ro and browse to Products > PHAkt

In the extensions section at this site you will fid lots of PHP compatible extensions. They are in the APPS folder, and the APPS > PHP folder.

Besides that also check out www.massimocorner.com and www.basic-ultradev.com for the PHAkt server model.

When you have questions you can aks them in out PHP forum. We do have a wonderfull support team there.

I hope you like it

Waldo Smeets - www.UDzone.com Webmaster
-------------------------------------------
Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
jefferis peterson

USA
6 Posts Posted - 09/10/2001 :  16:32:04                
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FAQ states that they've tried to test it on a Macintosh, but don't have one.
Any idea how it works for Mac users?

Thanks
Jeff

Replies

Replied 12 Sep 2001 02:10:47
12 Sep 2001 02:10:47 Tim Green replied:
A commercial GUI for MySQL administration on OSX is available from www.macosguru.de/

Or you can try a GPL admin utility called XmySQL available at softrak.stepwise.com/display?pkg=2123&os=20

Other solutions can be found at www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=mysql

And if all else fails, while it isn't exactly WYSIWYG you could try PHPMyAdmin, which is available as an extension from this very site. This installs a web-based utility that allows you to fully manage your MySQL Database.

Unfortunately it will take a little time until better WYSIWYG apps for MySQL are available for OSX, as it is all still relatively new. Though, if you know what you are doing you could look at the archives at www.freshmeat.net, or www.sourceforge.net, and download a linux/BSD source tarball and compile it.

Anyway, I hope this is of some help to you.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>

Edited by - rawveg on 09/12/2001 02:11:20

Reply to this topic