Forums

This topic is locked

Still no joy with connections

Posted 19 Sep 2001 10:02:30
has voted
19 Sep 2001 10:02:30 simon bloodworth posted:
I tried the following connection string
driver={mysql}; database=yourdatabase;server=yourserver;uid=username;pwd=password;option=16386;
but it keeps coming back with 'unreconised error'
i have one other question. my isp said that the connection string they supplied for the driver on their site
<%

ConnectionString="DRIVER=org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver;URL={jdbc:mysql://mysql.easyspace.com/dbname};uid=
username;pwd=password;"
set con = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection"
con.open(ConnectionString)

%>

would have to replace the connection string for the dsn on my local site.
so what part of the above string gos into the local dsn connections
<%
' FileName="Connection_odbc_conn_dsn.htm"
' Type="ADO"
' HTTP="false"
' Catalog=""
' Schema=""
MM_test_STRING = "dsn=bekingsbh;"
%>

i am sorry for any bother but i am still quite new to this game

thanks

S Bloodworth

Replies

Replied 19 Sep 2001 23:37:46
19 Sep 2001 23:37:46 Tim Green replied:
You should not have created a new thread for this. You should have added this post to the thread you started earlier regarding this problem.

Please be aware of this in the future.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
Replied 24 Sep 2001 20:28:07
24 Sep 2001 20:28:07 Russell Marshall replied:
Hi Simon,

Who are your ISP. Is it Webfusion/Host Europe.
If so you have a sole mate.
I am going through the same loop and have almost got their.
I can make the connection using both a local conn and a remote con and will be pleased to help you get their.
We can then jointly overcome the next obstacle together. (Hopefully).

The next obstacle is linking to the tables to create a recordset. I can do it using my local DSN but not the remote conn.

Best Regards

Russe

Replied 25 Sep 2001 10:05:17
25 Sep 2001 10:05:17 simon bloodworth replied:
Hi Russe

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I am pleased to say that I think I have sussed it. I am now able to get ultradev to communicate with my mySQL database on my ISP (which is Easyspace)and am slowly getting there.

I am able to link to the tables in my database and if I can be any help on that score then give us a shout. What is your database running under?

Thanks again

Simon

S Bloodworth
Replied 25 Sep 2001 11:14:49
25 Sep 2001 11:14:49 Russell Marshall replied:
Hi Simon,
I am pleased you have made the connection.
Can you create a recorset using your remote connection and does your dbase work online?
If so well done.

I am using the connection string
driver={mysql}; database=yourdatabase;server=yourserver;uid=username;pwd=password;option=16386;

I have uploaded my Access 2000 database using MyODBC and can connect to it and look at tables using MySQLfont. I can connect to it and create a recordset using my local DNS connection but can only connect to it using the remote connection. Ultra dev tells me it cannot retreive the tables.

If you are using a different connection string to me, I will be grateful if you can share it with me, it's worth a try.

Also I am not 100% shure that the server I am entering in the string is correct though I suspect if it was wrong then I would not be able to make the connection. I am using the IP address, what myserver do you enter.

Any assistance will be apreciated.

If I cannot get this working in the next few days I may just buy a hosting account from Easyspace when you are shure that you can get your database working 100%.

Whats your URL, I will have a look.

I am currently trying to run the UltraDev Compass Travel tutorial on my domain www.websolution.uk.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Russell

PS. The reason I want to use Webfusion is that I have a reseller account that cost me £500 where I host about 70 sites and additional hosting accounts cost me just £25.

Replied 25 Sep 2001 15:46:46
25 Sep 2001 15:46:46 simon bloodworth replied:

Hi Russe

It looks like your problem is a little worse than mine. Easy dont support access databases so i had to convert them to MySQL and to the database that was created by my ISP. The way I was able to connect to it was by connection to a local DSN which was my database on my ISP and then changing the connection string to the one supplied by my server and this seemed to work fine. I havent had the time to make sure it works properley when i query it but i sure that it wont be a problem.

I hope this has been some help and I am sorry that i cant help any further at this time but if i found any more out i will let you know.

S Bloodworth

Reply to this topic