Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

hosting that allows connection to MySQL db

Posted 20 Oct 2001 01:52:43
has voted
20 Oct 2001 01:52:43 Tyler Jensen posted:
I'd like to know what web hosting services provide connections for PHAkt/MySQL? My current provider,
www.100megswebhosting.com doesn't have any support according to their personnel.(and according to my repeated attempts to connect)

Thanks a lot!

Tyler Jensen

Replies

Replied 20 Oct 2001 11:55:30
20 Oct 2001 11:55:30 Bruno Mairlot replied:
Phakt in itself doesn't need any support from your ISP,

If your ISP support PHP, you should be able to execute Phakt-generated code.

MySQL is something else though...On google try a search with : "web hosting +php +mysql" and you should find a lot of ISP that supports both.

Bruno

--- Better to die trying, than never try at all ---
Replied 20 Oct 2001 13:36:37
20 Oct 2001 13:36:37 Tim Green replied:
I think the point that Tyler was making was that his current host doesn't allow remote MySQL connections. This is something that many Host Providers don't include in their details.

I personally use WebFusion/Host Europe as a host provider, but one thing you can do, especially if its just for testing is to use a MySQL or PostGreSQL server for free at www.freesql.org, and use that for design time transferring your DB to your usual host when your site goes live.

Hope this helps

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
Replied 20 Oct 2001 17:09:19
20 Oct 2001 17:09:19 Tyler Jensen replied:
Yes, Tim's right on the mark. My hosting service doesn't allow remote connections to happen. I was looking around at webfusion.co.uk, and one of the things I noticed was that they only provide support for 1 database. Why is it that so many providers do this? Anyone find it a problem?

Thanks,

Tyler

Replied 20 Oct 2001 20:53:06
20 Oct 2001 20:53:06 Tyler Jensen replied:
Just looking at scripts generated by PHAkt, it seems that they just put the jdbc connection on a seperate page and call it based on requirements at the top of the page. So, if my current host doesn't provide access for jdbc, why would I develop on freesql.org if I will have to rewrite a lot of the code later on? I won't be able to copy my connections folder to my host and expect it to work will I, or can I just use the old:

$dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "table", "&lt;PASSWORD HERE&gt;" or die ('I cannot connect to the database.');
mysql_select_db ("database";

and change around variables accordingly in the code and expect it to work well?

Thanks again!

Tyler

Replied 20 Oct 2001 21:58:26
20 Oct 2001 21:58:26 Bruno Mairlot replied:
Phakt may use the native mysql function.

While designing your site, Ultradev needs to know where to look for information about your database.

So you have two connexion to set up : 1. the one you will use while working in local, the second connexion is the one that will really be used by php code.

JDBC (if I'm not wrong, Tim ?) is only used for the local connexion. It would make sense to use JDBC to connect with a PHP page. The J in JDBC means Java...

I strongly suggest you to install a win32 version of MySQL on your localhost (it doesn't require a lot of power), so that you will be able to define all locally, then just put your files on the server.

In a sense, it will even help you, because the files will always connect to the localhost where they are being executed (But of course, you will need a HTTP server, and php). Actually this is how I work : I have Apache/PHP/MySQL running on my local machine (it doesn't consume even 1% of ressources) and when I upload files on my server it doesn't see any difference.

Probably Tim will be able to explain it better than me, since I feel it involves the ADODB part of Phakt.

I suggest you to take a look at the adodb files, it is quite interesting.

Bruno

--- Better to die trying, than never try at all ---
Replied 21 Oct 2001 17:42:32
21 Oct 2001 17:42:32 Tyler Jensen replied:
I figured it all out. Didn't realize the bottom 'PHP' connection part of PHAkt could be different from the top. Sweet! thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Tyler

Replied 23 Oct 2001 14:24:39
23 Oct 2001 14:24:39 Ryan McMaster replied:
I've just read all of the above, and they don't answer his question. Mate signup with www.freedom2surf.com you get both php4 and mysql support and 20mb all free. I think the servers are full at the moment so you might have to wait a couple of days.

Replied 23 Oct 2001 15:09:27
23 Oct 2001 15:09:27 Keith Slater replied:
but they probly dont allow remote connections

Keith Slater
Replied 24 Oct 2001 07:37:25
24 Oct 2001 07:37:25 Tyler Jensen replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I've just read all of the above &lt;snip&gt;<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Ok, With the help of the above, I figured out that I don't need to have an obdc connection with the server to utilize PHAkt. I thought in order to run PHAkt I needed an JDBC connection to MySQL so I was trying to find a host that did this. Turns out that there is an option to connect to MySQL through PHP and not JDBC, so that's what I'm using.

-Tyler

Reply to this topic