Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

UD / PHakt Newbie

Posted 25 Oct 2001 00:20:21
has voted
25 Oct 2001 00:20:21 andy dick posted:
OK, maybe this is a stupid question but I have been coding PHP for about 2 years now, and just now ran across UD and PHakt. I guess my simple questions are these:

1. PHakt is just for the development phase on a remote PC right? I do most of my dev on a local box with PHP Coder and upload it to my server to test it. (That is what I do now, I obviously want to use UltraDev)

2. If I use this with ADODBC and upload the sites, what do I need for them to work? I just started messing with it an hour or so ago , so I am still getting used to it. I guess I just want to makes sure that when I upload the sites it will work the same way as hand coding.

3. Since PHakt supports multiple databases, is the PHakt code essentially a database abstraction layer? Can the database type change fairly easily for the user if they want to go from MySQL to Postgres to Oracle?

Thanks,
Andy

Edited by - idevelopit on 10/25/2001 00:49:13

Replies

Replied 25 Oct 2001 08:59:16
25 Oct 2001 08:59:16 Bruno Mairlot replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
1. PHakt is just for the development phase on a remote PC right? I do most of my dev on a local box with PHP Coder and upload it to my server to test it. (That is what I do now, I obviously want to use UltraDev)
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
No, Phakt (as all Server Model) as two purpose : Getting Ultradev to knows about Database connection. It needs to have knowledge of two types : the local one, and the remote one. The second purpose is to give you ServerBehavior that would accelerate your developpment by using pre-defined code, for doing repetitive task like connecting to a database, fetching rows from a query and showing them on the page.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
2. If I use this with ADODBC and upload the sites, what do I need for them to work? I just started messing with it an hour or so ago , so I am still getting used to it. I guess I just want to makes sure that when I upload the sites it will work the same way as hand coding.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Normaly, nothing. The ADODB files are indeed an abstraction layer, just like ODBC is. It creates a class that will inherit the specific DB methods.

The difference between hand-coding, is that you will call native PHP function. Like mysql_connect, or oracle_connect.

Here, the ADODB will choose the right methods without changing a bit in your page. Hem, actually, it will just change the type of DB you want.

If you take a look at the ADODB files you get when creating a connection, you'll see that, basically the file included in your PHP file is adodb.inc.php, and all other files are DB specific.

3. Since PHakt supports multiple databases, is the PHakt code essentially a database abstraction layer? Can the database type change fairly easily for the user if they want to go from MySQL to Postgres to Oracle?

Actually I've never tried to switch from a DB to another, but I guess you won't have a lot of things to do.

Phakt has been developped with exactly that things in mind, so I suppose it has been tested.

--- Better to die trying, than never try at all ---

Reply to this topic