Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

User Authentication question

Posted 13 Nov 2001 00:32:35
has voted
13 Nov 2001 00:32:35 Michael Davis posted:
I'm using impakt/User Autentication Extras to create a user login. I have a question about groups. I have 3 online newsletters, and it is possible for people to subscribe to more that one.
Should my database look like;

user | Pub
Moe | Pub1
Larry | Pub2
Curly | Pub3
Curly | Pub1

Or:
User | Pub1 | Pub2 | Pub3 |
Moe | Yes | | |
Larry | | Yes | |
Curly |yes | |Yes|

It seems to me that the second version is what I need for unique usernames. How would I apply the Group authentication?

Replies

Replied 13 Nov 2001 02:37:54
13 Nov 2001 02:37:54 Tim Green replied:
You will need to use a bit of handcoding to manipulate the values, but essentially what you would do is to read the publication field into a variable with :-

$pubs = $RecordsetName->Fields("ColumnName";

Then you would need to establish which one is being referred to in the current instance. To actually get to the values, split the variable into an array with :-

$pubArray = explode("|",$pubs);

This will then (in the Example of Curly) give you:-

$pubArray[0] = yes
$pubArray[1] = ""
$pubArray[2] = Yes

You can then transfer this value, or refer to it in whichever process you need to.

It should be noted, that my User Authentication Extras behaviours don't actually handle the Authentication for you. You must use the Standard LogIn User behaviours supplied with PHAkT for this. If you don't have an of these behaviours applied to the current working page then my Authentication Extras will do very little for you.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>

Reply to this topic