Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

User Authentication - Not always working

Posted 14 Nov 2001 22:00:18
has voted
14 Nov 2001 22:00:18 Ryan Schwiebert posted:
I created a user authenticated site with just a couple users. Under some Internet connections (like dialup), I can easily login and access the features. With other connections, especially behind our firewall, it will not authenticate.

What's happening? I am guessing it has something to do with the session vars getting lost. How can I work around this? Can I just add this to the url string? I am at a loss.

Replies

Replied 15 Nov 2001 23:36:46
15 Nov 2001 23:36:46 Tim Green replied:
Some types of firewall will strip all cookie information etc from a connection. This is fine, but it means that unless you are using true http authentication, you will run into trouble.

If there is a likelihood that you are going to be getting users with exactly this kind of security, then sending the login information via the query string isn't going to go down very well, nor, I will add, be at all secure.

Tim Green

Extension & PHP TalkZone Manager
<font size=1>-------------------------------------------
<i>Please read the Forum FAQ before posting
a question to this TalkZone.</i>
-------------------------------------------
www.UDzone.com : A dynamic Dreamweaver,
Ultradev and Fireworks site for developers
by developers.
-------------------------------------------</font id=size1>
Replied 19 Nov 2001 14:30:00
19 Nov 2001 14:30:00 Ryan Schwiebert replied:
I tried another way to authenticate and that worked for me, but it is not as powerful as the DW behaviors. I wish I could better understand this process. Thanks for the information Tim.

--
Ryan

Reply to this topic