Charon Cart Version 2 Tutorial Support Product Page

This topic was archived

cart display woes

Asked 21 Jun 2002 22:06:18
has this question
21 Jun 2002 22:06:18 chris lee posted:
Hello,
I am setting up the charon cart and am up to the point of implementing the 'update charon cart' server behavior and have run into some problems. I am able to browse and place a selection into my cart via Link, but when I try to update the quantity, my cart comes back empty (even when i just hit the 'update cart' button w/o changing quantities). The URL states:
". . ./cart.asp?UpdateNumber=1" and increments with each click of the "update cart" button, but the cart stays empty. I implement the update cart S.B. after I put in the 'Repeat cart Region' S.B., so I don't think that is the problem. I have set up the cart 3 times from scratch and I get the same results each time. I can send the code pages if this helps, but I really need to get this puppy running. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
chris

Replies

Replied 23 Jun 2002 23:51:04
23 Jun 2002 23:51:04 Rolf Herbert replied:
Hi there,

Not sure I understant exactluy what your problem is. After you have 'semingly' added an item to the cart via and a link and then you try to display your cart there is nothing in it..? If that is the case there are a couple of things to try;

Firstly check that you have session cookies allowed in your browser (if you dont the extension will attempt to save the cart contents to a cookie that will not actually be written to the hard disk of the user).

Secondly, on the page that your link points to which contains the script to add a product to the cart check these things. Does the link contain enough information to uniquely identify an item from your database and does the recordset on this page correctly pull up this recordset? Does the cart contain any items once the page script has finished? To test these things echo to the screen the entities your interested in. At the very start of the page type something like <%=RecordsetName("FieldName"%> This will illustrate if the recordset contains the item you are expecting. Then at the end of the page type <%=CharonCart%> which will echo the contents of the charoncart array to the screen, then finally type <%=Request.Cookies("CharonCart"%> which will echo the contents of the current cookie.

If any of these entities are not as you expect then I would suggest that the most likely explanation is that you have either forgotten to place the CharonCart server behaviour on all your pages, you have forgotten to use the addtocart from link behaviour to the script page that your link points to or your link does not identify uniquely an item in your database (remember your link must contain a ? at the end and then the variable/value pair that your recordset on the add to cart script pag uses to filter its recordset, somthing like ?ID=RedShoesLrg or whatever.

Rolf
Replied 24 Jun 2002 00:21:25
24 Jun 2002 00:21:25 chris lee replied:
hi,
thx for the response. the problem turned out to be in how i set up my form - it didnot include my update button. i set up the page again from scratch and voila - updates updates updates.
thanks again - excellent tutorial
c-bot

Reply to this topic