Forums

This topic is locked

Dropdownmenu

Posted 09 Oct 2002 09:33:12
has voted
09 Oct 2002 09:33:12 Klaus Jensen posted:
Hi

I am looking for at dropdown menu extension for dreamweaver, which use a database for the menu topics. Hope somebody can help..

Or have an ide to create a dropdownmenu which use a database and asp

Klaus Jensen, Denmark

Sorry for the bad english

Replies

Replied 11 Oct 2002 15:04:07
11 Oct 2002 15:04:07 graeme armitage replied:
I to would like to know if you can creat a drop downmenu /jumpmenu that displays on the all the fields from a coloum in a table allowing you to jump to a display of that record

the ideal is to have some code that displays and links the complete table (one coloum) so as the table grows the code does not need to change.

I can do this manually but i have to manually ad each new record to the jump menu. All i can get a dynamic display to do is display the record it is currently at.

I am working in PHP and Msql
Replied 11 Oct 2002 15:05:34
11 Oct 2002 15:05:34 graeme armitage replied:
I to would like to know if you can creat a drop downmenu /jumpmenu that displays on the all the fields from a coloum in a table allowing you to jump to a display of that record

the ideal is to have some code that displays and links the complete table (one coloum) so as the table grows the code does not need to change.

I can do this manually but i have to manually ad each new record to the jump menu. All i can get a dynamic display to do is display the record it is currently at.

I am working in PHP and Msql
Replied 12 Oct 2002 19:37:10
12 Oct 2002 19:37:10 Ned Frankly replied:
Graem / webanker

Dynamic dropdowns are a built-in function of UD and DMX. They are much better implemented in DMX, allowing for a mixture of static and dynamic elements. There are tutorials and instructions available within DMX, UD, and online at macromedia.com and here. In agreement with the earlier message requesting that folks research easy questions before asking them here, I'll request that you do just that and THEN let us know if we can clarify anything.

Graem, DMX won't write PHP for you (unless an extension has been created that I don't know about). Unless you are a true PHP guru, you may be better off allowing DMX to write code in JavaScript or VBScript for you.

I use MySQL and JavaScript for a Linux server running Chilisoft, btw, so I have JavaScript and VBScript available to me - if you don't have ASP available, you have a lot of hand-coding to do, and your questions would be better answered on one of the PHP developer forums. There may be PHP gurus here (I'm sure there are) but your questions would probably be mostly OT in this forum. If I was strictly a PHP programmer, I doubt if DMX would be my weapon of choice.

Best I can do here is to have you create the dynamic dropdown in JavaScript or VBScript using DMX, then manually modify it to PHP. At least you'd have a sample of the logic used (basically a repeating recordset wrapped around the '<option>' statements inside the select.)

Ned Frankly

Reply to this topic