Forums

This topic is locked

Newbie Q (dreamweaver/fireworks question)

Posted 27 Jan 2003 07:21:34
has voted
27 Jan 2003 07:21:34 Amadeus Mr posted:
First I must say this is a very informative site. Though I didnt find an answer to my Q's in the archives I did learn some good things.

First question:

Im using fireworks 4 to create the buttons for my dreamweaver 4 document. Whats the best way to insert the button into my dw document?
I found a way but I think its a bit inefficient. I tried to export the fireworks file to dw with the wizard but it broke the firework file into a bunch of files. This seems like treading up stream to me, am I wrong? Then I did the usual "insert image rollover" and picked the 2 files I needed, leaving the rest of the files for the birds. There's got to be a better way.Right?

2nd question:
Similar to the above, I made a pop-up menu in fireworks and cant figure out how to get it into dw and make it work properly. Whats the best way to get it from Fireworks to dw?

Thanks for any help guys!
I hope to learn enough one day to give back to the board. I plan to stick around.
Amadeus

Replies

Replied 27 Jan 2003 09:57:31
27 Jan 2003 09:57:31 Julio Taylor replied:
when you make FW buttons and menus, export it as "HTML and images". Then in dreamweaver, choose "insert Fireworks menu" and select the .htm file created by FW.

this should work for both buttons and menu systems.

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | UD4

Replied 27 Jan 2003 20:54:25
27 Jan 2003 20:54:25 Amadeus Mr replied:
Julio,

I tried that and it works great for the buttons but I tried it for the pop-up menu and all I get is the initial button with no pop-up.
What do you think Im doing wrong?
Thanks
Replied 27 Jan 2003 23:17:53
27 Jan 2003 23:17:53 Amadeus Mr replied:
Here's a step by step of what I am doing with pop-up made in Fireworks:
-Made rectangle button w/ text
-inserted slice
-inserted pop-up with 3 selections (I selected html for the cells)
-Eported to dreamweaver site with options:
-Save as type: Html and images
-HTML: Export html file
-Slices: Export slices
-Also selected "Include areas without slices" box.

-In dreamweaver, I now have 1 html file, 5 gif files, 1 javascript file, and 1 spacer.gif
-In dreamweaver, I insert>firework html and select the one html file
-The results: In a browser I get just the rectangle 'links' button showing up and working like a plain rollover button.....no pop-up menu.

Where did I go wrong?
Thanks for your help
Amadeus
Replied 28 Jan 2003 10:04:10
28 Jan 2003 10:04:10 Julio Taylor replied:
from what you tell me, you're doing all the right things.

have you tried previewing the button array in Fireworks? It will produce an HTML file with the menu inserted, you can check if it's working then.

If not, you can send me the .png file ( ) and i'll have a look at it and see if i can help.

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | UD4

Replied 28 Jan 2003 22:33:14
28 Jan 2003 22:33:14 Amadeus Mr replied:
One thing I dont understand is what the script Icon in the upper left corner is for when I insert the html pop-up.

Do I need to some how insert the menu javascript file after I insert the html file?
Replied 28 Jan 2003 23:08:53
28 Jan 2003 23:08:53 Amadeus Mr replied:
Alright I think Im getting closer to figuring out the problem......well at least Im eliminating some things.

I opened the html file located in the dw site folder and it seems to work just fine in a browser by itself.
This may sound dumb, but when I insert the pop-up html file do I want to insert it into a cell, table, table w/ cell, or what? Im just using a cell by itself.

Also Im wondering if its having a problem because of overlapping issues with other cells/tables.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance
Amadeus
Replied 29 Jan 2003 16:24:34
29 Jan 2003 16:24:34 Julio Taylor replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I opened the html file located in the dw site folder and it seems to work just fine in a browser by itself.
This may sound dumb, but when I insert the pop-up html file do I want to insert it into a cell, table, table w/ cell, or what? Im just using a cell by itself.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

you can inster the menu wherever you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Also Im wondering if its having a problem because of overlapping issues with other cells/tables.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

the JS script will overlap anything beneath it, except i think frames. There's some things to check:

- is the path to the 'fwmenu.js' file absolute or relative? make sure the HTML page has a good link to the JS file. the js file needs to be in the same folder as the HTML include file.

- do other javascript functions work in this site?

------------------------
Julio

PHP | MySQL | UD4

Reply to this topic