Persistent Layer Pro Support Product Page

This topic is locked
This topic was archived

Stop Persistent Layer

Asked 03 Apr 2003 05:12:41
has this question
03 Apr 2003 05:12:41 Mike Clark posted:
How do I set a stopping point for the Persistent Layer? I'm able to set it in motion but can continue to scroll my web page forever. Thanks.

Replies

Replied 03 Apr 2003 06:43:31
03 Apr 2003 06:43:31 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
This can happen if your persistent layer is higher than the viewport of the browser window. The page then effectively "lengthens' each time you scroll down.

If that is not the case in your page, then please post an URL here so I can take a look.

--
Marja Ribbers-de Vroed
www.flevooware.nl
www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/
Replied 03 Apr 2003 15:52:22
03 Apr 2003 15:52:22 Mike Clark replied:
I don't believe that the persistent layer is higher than the viewport. The URL is www.kailuahawaii.com/default.htm.

I do have Project Seven's Menu Magic II inside the persistent layer but haven't had any problems other than this stop issue. Thanks.
Replied 03 Apr 2003 16:41:23
03 Apr 2003 16:41:23 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
This issue is caused by the MM2 'closing layer' (with ID=P7TabH), which has a shim image in it with its height set to 682.
This closer layer with that tall image also floats down the page, thus causing the page to lengthen.

And while I'm at it, I have a tip for you:

You declared a lot of layers persistent (all MM2 menu layer separately), which is not really a problem in IE. But in all other browsers PLP starts a loop for each persistent layer to check every x Ms if the layer needs to adjust its position. This looping cycle for so many layers is consuming much CPU time, thus probably causing the client computer to perform badly.

You may want to try to put the entire MM2 menu system in a 'daddy layer' and declare only that 'daddy layer' persistent. I think it will boost the page performance and it will lessen the demand for CPU time.

Hope this helps.

--
Marja Ribbers-de Vroed
www.flevooware.nl
www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/

Reply to this topic