Forums

This topic is locked

UPLOAD OF SITE

Posted 17 Jun 2003 15:56:51
has voted
17 Jun 2003 15:56:51 emma macdougall posted:
Hello everyone again,
My website has a good listing in all major search engines page 1 and page 2 on most search engines under (boxer dogs) my problem comes with the upload of the site when a visiter drops by it is for some reason taking to long to load up and as you are aware there off like a wippet, there are not to many picture files that have been added and the one's that have, have been reduced in filesize but the index page is still 49-50k can any one drop by the site and try and solve the problem for me.
I am a broadband user so this does help when checking for speed of upload.
Emma xxx
www.sophiemacdougall.fsnet.co.uk

Replies

Replied 17 Jun 2003 17:27:31
17 Jun 2003 17:27:31 Owen Eastwick replied:
The problem is the amount of code that makes up the home page, much of it unnecessary. If you view your home page then right click and select View Source you'll see what I mean.

There are whole blocks of font tags that you should be able to get rid of, like this for example:

<font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2"><b><font size="2">

Save a copy of your original page, just in case it all goes horribly wrong, then view one of the copies in code view and design view combined, now see how much of the code you can delete without messing up the design.

You could probably compress some of the images a little further without sacrificing the quality too much. I also notice that some of the images are larger than they are actually displayed. For instance the image accross the top of the home page is actually 900 x 200 pixels, but only displayed at 635 x 122. You could reduce the file size of that by around 20-30% purely by re-sizing the original to the correct dimensions.

Regards

Owen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Used programming books and web development software for sale (UK only): www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo/Shop.htm

Developer services and tutorials: www.drdev.net

Multiple Parameter UD4 / Access 2000 Search Tutorial: www.tdsf.co.uk/tdsfdemo/

Reply to this topic