Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

Dynamic dependent list boxes

Posted 29 Aug 2003 05:24:33
has voted
29 Aug 2003 05:24:33 Larry Laffer posted:
Hi all!

I want to build a search/select page using 3 dependent list boxes or drop down menus. Client-side is not an option because the size of the data.

The idea is to have this 3 drop down menus displaying a "Make your selection..." message and refresh (requery) the 2nd list box when a selection is made in the first list. Then the values in the 3rd list box are refresh depending on the selection made in the 2nd list box and finally, when a selection is made on the 3rd list box diferent values will be shown (lets say on an table) for the user to choose (click) one of them. Upon selection a detail page is shown.

For exmple:

First list box.- Manufacturer
Second list box.- Category
Third list box.- Item
Values to show on table.- Models-Price

The data that populates the pull down menus comes from a single table (MySQL).

Also, I would like to know how to show a button "disabled" until some condition is complete. Lets say for example that the button is shown but disabled until a choice has been selected on the 3 pull down menus.

Im complete NEWBIE to php, MySQL and Javascript (I guess javascript will be needed for this task), so PLEASE be as explicit as possible and show/use as much detailed examples and comment's code as you can.

In advace, thanks a lot.

Replies

Replied 12 Jul 2007 21:42:18
12 Jul 2007 21:42:18 Ilan Yosef replied:
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to Larry's post ... Thank you
Replied 13 Jul 2007 08:11:23
13 Jul 2007 08:11:23 Steve Fuller replied:
Hi guys!

Either of you guys familiar with WebAssist? They make extensions. Some of their stuff is too tricky for mere mortals but I achieved a simple version of the drill down effect you're referring to very easily via their dynamic dropdowns extension. Check it out here:

www.webassist.com/professional/products/productdetails.asp?PID=1

This ought to do it!

See ya,
Steve

Reply to this topic