Forums

This topic is locked

Simple pop-up menu tutorial needed

Posted 25 Oct 2003 01:52:30
has voted
25 Oct 2003 01:52:30 jqp dev posted:
Simple Drop down menu tutorial needed.
Hello all,

I'm a Dreamweaver MX newb. It looks like the questions surrounding drop down menus (div's selectively displayed and hidden) have been asked 1,000 times. So instead of wasting time, could some one sent me a link.

To clarify this things a bit more... what I'm trying to do is when the user moves the mouse of a table cell entry I would like a div to be made visible. The div consists of a table with one column and between 1 and 10 rows of hyper links. The div should remain visible until (a) the user clicks one of the hyperlinks within the div, or (b) the user moves the mouse away from the table cell entry mentioned above, or the user moves the mouse away from the drop down menu.

For a similar example of what I described above go to
intranetjournal.com/

Is there a way to do this without custom extensions or extensions at all?

Replies

Replied 25 Oct 2003 02:18:09
25 Oct 2003 02:18:09 Scott Fegette replied:
Sure, obviously it can be done without extensions, but a great way into the 'mindset' would be to follow Project Seven's fine tutorial here:

www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

Not to mention the rest of their very cool tutorials here:

www.projectseven.com/tutorials/index.htm

Essentially to build them yourself you'd want to create javascript functions that, when rolling over the 'closed' menu, would toggle the appropriate menu's <div> layer visible, and then back to 'hidden' when moused-off.

Hope this helps get you started in the right direction!

- Scott

scott fegette
macromedia, inc.
Replied 25 Oct 2003 12:46:56
25 Oct 2003 12:46:56 jqp dev replied:
Scott,

Thanks for the link I will check it out. However, I don't understand what you mean by 'mind set'?
Replied 28 Oct 2003 02:31:38
28 Oct 2003 02:31:38 Scott Fegette replied:
Sorry- just meant that you may want to start with the extensions, then looking into the source code they generate to give you a good idea of how you would hand-code drop-down menus if starting from scratch. It's not overly difficult, but does require careful JS/<div> understanding (the devellopment 'mindset') first if you haven't used JS to toggle layer visibility before.

- Scott

scott fegette
macromedia, inc.

Reply to this topic