Forums

This topic is locked

Dreamweaver is soooo slow!!!!!!

Posted 22 Jan 2004 09:18:04
has voted
22 Jan 2004 09:18:04 Frances de Waal posted:
The new DW needs so much time building up a window. Even scrolling seems to have a delay build in. I find myself waiting and looking, wasting so much time. Not very efficient, isn't it?!
I work on an Apple computer, OSX 10.3.2.
Does anyone know the problem, or, even better, have a solution??????

Replies

Replied 22 Jan 2004 19:20:07
22 Jan 2004 19:20:07 Jeremy Conn replied:
I am on a PC and it works fast... here's my PC specs:

- 2 GHz P4
- 1 GB RAM

Before I bought this machine I was running it on a 500 MHz P2 and still thought it was OK.

Maybe something with Mac OSX?

<b>Connman21</b>
www.conncreativemedia.com
<b>DEVELOPMENT SETUP</b>
DW MX Studio
Web Server: IIS5
DB: Access2000/SQL2000
Language: ASP/VB
Replied 27 Jan 2004 13:05:06
27 Jan 2004 13:05:06 Frances de Waal replied:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't know if it is a Mac-DW problem, it would be nice to know if there is anyone else who has the same problem.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I am on a PC and it works fast... here's my PC specs:

- 2 GHz P4
- 1 GB RAM

Before I bought this machine I was running it on a 500 MHz P2 and still thought it was OK.

Maybe something with Mac OSX?

<b>Connman21</b>
<b>DEVELOPMENT SETUP</b>
DW MX Studio
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Replied 02 Feb 2004 19:13:03
02 Feb 2004 19:13:03 Kenny Darcy replied:
Hi yea,
i have a pc and find the same thing, my spec is pentium 4 using 768 meg of ram, I found that when my PC goes slow I go in to task manager by doing a ctrl alt del and checking my PC performance, I find the page file usage can get very high, this can be down to a number of issues, one being maybe you have load of extensions installed. i am using 2003 but had loaded 2004 which I found worse, I am happy with 2003 at the moment due to the lack of info on the insert bar, before one was given the option of both icon and text but on 2004 it is just icons. I have found 2004 slow and will only load it again when I see the come out with a version 7.1 . I still believe ultradev was faster lol

Kenny
Replied 03 Feb 2004 21:23:59
03 Feb 2004 21:23:59 Scott Fegette replied:
A couple quick performance tips which may or may not help out (note that a Dreamweaver update is due shortly which will *definitely* address MX 2004 performance issues, particularly on Macs):

- Close the Tag Inspector panel if you're not using it
- Close the Application panel if you're not using it
- Make sure that if you have realtime virus scanning you 'exclude' the Configuration folder (located in the Dreamweaver application folder) - realtime scanning can slow down basic functions all over the place as most of them reside in HTML/Javascript files in the Config directory
- Avoid Layout mode if possible when creating tables. It's goal is to let you create tables of any arbitrary design- and build the resulting code underneath (which if you're not careful, can be very bulky and slow to render). If you must use Layout mode, try to sketch out your layout first so you're not running the risk of generating bloated code by trial/error.

Not sure if these will help you squeeze out some extra speed, but they do help me in day-to-day usage... HTH!

- Scott

scott fegette
macromedia, inc.
Replied 05 Feb 2004 12:56:15
05 Feb 2004 12:56:15 Frances de Waal replied:
Finally reinstalled MX, and, what a RELIEF!!!!!! I am happy again with Dreamweaver! It works swift, all problems are gone!!!!!!
Negative for Macromedia, how can they put MX2004 in this way on the market?
Btw, I never work in the layout modus, so that could not have caused the delay. I do use the Taginspector, but not the Application panel.
Replied 05 Feb 2004 20:21:20
05 Feb 2004 20:21:20 Jeremy Conn replied:
Belia,
I respectfully disagree with your assessment that Dreamweaver MX2004 runs slow. This software is highend, professional grade software that requires a highend, professional grade machine to run it. I have no speed issues whatsoever, and most professional developers/designers that I work with have no problems either.

It always seems as if the hobby-developers complain the loudest about DW when it is not necessarily targeted to them. There are plenty of good editors out there like Frontpage, etc. that run great on slower machines...

Anyway, just venting my opinion - anyone out there feel the same?

<b>Connman21</b>
<b>DEVELOPMENT SETUP</b>
DW MX Studio
Replied 05 Feb 2004 23:49:31
05 Feb 2004 23:49:31 Frances de Waal replied:
I don't have the slightest idea why you respectfully make insinuations without knowing who you're making them to, I work on a 867MHz 640 MB Mac OS 10.3.2, I work as a fulltime freelance webdesigner, and I give webdesign/ Fireworks/Dreamweaver classes to professionals. So I dear to say that I know a litllebit what I am talking about!. Just venting...
Replied 07 Feb 2004 02:51:53
07 Feb 2004 02:51:53 Jeremy Conn replied:
No offense intended... I was making a comment without knowing the background - I appologize.

<b>Connman21</b>
<b>DEVELOPMENT SETUP</b>
DW MX Studio

Reply to this topic