Forums

This topic is locked

Download Limit to purchased extensions

Posted 18 Dec 2004 15:29:05
has voted
18 Dec 2004 15:29:05 Greta Garberini posted:
I really encountered a bad experience with DMX's policy of installing the purePHP upload DW extension.
Not only does your box have to be online each time you need to (re)install any DMXzone paid extension. You are asked for the serial number, user loginname and password.
I did not know that there was a built in download/activation limit!
As it happens, I have to reinstall Dreamweaver on my machine frequently because I run it in Linux with crossover office. Each time I try out a new distribution or version I have to make a clean install of obvious reasons.
Yesterday I wanted to reinstall one of my purchased extensions and it refused to. i got the message: <i>download limit exceeded!</i>
I never was shown a counter or something like this before.
This problem may not apply to a too great number of people but for me it is essential because our company's policy is to get rid of Microsoft's products as much as possible. That is why we develop with php/mysql tools on other OS's

<b>PLEASE CHANGE THIS ANNOYING POLICY OF PROVIDING A PAID LICENSE!</b>

Replies

Replied 20 Dec 2004 19:09:00
20 Dec 2004 19:09:00 Patrick Woldberg replied:
When you write an e-mail to with the reason why you have reached the limit they will reset it. There is nothing strange to this kind of validation, it prevents users from distributing the extension. Macromedia also has an activation build in his programs that needs online verification.

--------------------------------------------------
Patrick Woldberg
Web Developer at Dynamic Zones
Manager at DMXzone.com
Replied 21 Dec 2004 05:41:53
21 Dec 2004 05:41:53 Greta Garberini replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
When you write an e-mail to with the reason why you have reached the limit they will reset it. There is nothing strange to this kind of validation, it prevents users from distributing the extension. Macromedia also has an activation build in his programs that needs online verification.

Patrick Woldberg
Manager at DMXzone.com
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Replied 21 Dec 2004 06:01:17
21 Dec 2004 06:01:17 Greta Garberini replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Patrick Woldberg
Manager at DMXzone.com
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

It is true, the extension is working again, but at least for me, DMX's policy for limiting the download amount is not user friendly at all.

It may protect DMX but not me as a user. I had to finish my work over the weekend and couldnt because of this.
As far as Macromedia is concerned: I paid and downloaded Dreamweaver from MMs site and never was asked how often I had installed it ever since. I never had 'redistibuted' software I bought and I never will.

What you are talking about is Dreamweaver MX 2004.

And Macromedias changed policy of compulsary registration is one of the reasons I did not upgrade to MX 2004. Because I simply do not accept such a way. Actually this brought me to switch to open source and using Dreamweaver MX (the old one) with crossover office in Linux. It works very well and I see no reason for upgrading, since MX 2004 does not offer any improvements for the php/mysql server model.

Yes the DMX extension is working again but I did not receive any email with something like "we are sorry about this inconvenience, it will work now". And I cannot remember that DMX has told me once there is a limitation installing their (excellent) extensions.

Reply to this topic