Forums

This topic is locked

Help Please - for a newbie

Posted 12 Mar 2005 03:51:49
has voted
12 Mar 2005 03:51:49 Kevin Henney posted:
I am designing a site using Dreamweaver MX 2004. This is my first attempt at designing a site and I have no real prior knowledge of HTML or any other language(apart from English - thats a joke!). I have designed some of the pages on my site When i rezise the browser my images and text end up on top of each other as if to try and fit all the content in the window space. I Know its probably something stupid but when it comes to HTML so am I apparently. Any help would be much appreciated. You can view my site at www.upickimix.com Be as critical as you like I am thick skinned, after all it is the only way to learn.

Replies

Replied 14 Mar 2005 12:22:43
14 Mar 2005 12:22:43 Simon Martin replied:
Its to do with the document flow Kevin.
The images, text and other elements on the page do not have any positioning (except for what you give them). To get around this, in the good old days, designers used to use tables for layout - then they could put their graphics into the table cells and they wouldn't move about.

However in the shining modern age we have a new method... CSS
There are lots of good CSS articles, links and tutorials right here on DMXZone - just do a quick search and you'll find them!
With CSS you can layout your pages but without cluttering up the (X)HTML code with presentational rubbish.

That's my CSS sermonising over!

Live the life you love
Love the life you live
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
<b>Simon Martin</b> - <i>DMXzone Manager</i>
<font size=1>[ Dreamweaver MX/MX2004 | ASP | SQL | XHTML/CSS | Web Accessibility ] </font id=size1>

Reply to this topic