Active Slideshow Pro Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Paying full price for an upgrade?

Asked 17 Dec 2005 15:26:29
has this question
17 Dec 2005 15:26:29 sam harry posted:
You produce great products. I purchased Active Slideshow and was very pleased with it except for some limitations. Well, now you fixed those limitations with Active Slide Show Pro. The only problem is that you are not calling it an upgrade or enhancing the first Slideshow. We should be able to purchase an upgrade for $30 and new potential clients should pay the full price. Did you forget about all of the people that bought active slide show? I know your trying to make money, but you’ll get more people in the end if you go about your upgrades the right way. I know you’re familiar with Dotnetnuke and that community. Well if you buy a module and then they enhance it 3 months later or a year later, they will let us upgrade for free… This is how it’s should work in the developer community.

Replies

Replied 17 Dec 2005 22:16:48
17 Dec 2005 22:16:48 George Petrov replied:
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your great interest! We have put many effords in the development of the new Active Slideshow Pro based on your feedback and also on other active users.

Please note that Active Slideshow Pro is a complete new product - we have rebuild it completely from the ground up and included a way too advanced DW interface for full user control, huge amound of effects, text sliders support and much much more!

So the price is really based on the development effords we make - and I have to say it is definately worthed.

Also you as Active Slideshow user will get a good discount as well.

Hope you understand

Greetings,
George

--------------------------------------------------
George Petrov - Founder of the Dynamic Zones
DMXzone.com, FWzone.net, FLzone.net, CFzone.net,
DNzone.com, FlashFiles.nl
--------------------------------------------------
Replied 22 Dec 2005 05:36:17
22 Dec 2005 05:36:17 Eric Popoff replied:
I agree with Sam Harry - It's simple math...

Here is the receipt email fro my purchase of ActiveSlideshow:

Thank you for purchasing "Active Slideshow"!
The product price was $59 USD

So now I am being asked to pay $110 USD for the upgrade, which pushes my total cost to $169 - $30 more than what is being offered to first time buyers!!!!

Sam Harry is right - in the world of custom extensions or custom modules (DNN) it makes better sense to reward your existing customers for their patronage than to squeeze them for every additional $$$ you can get. Remember that if you bump your price too high, no one will buy...

I understand the impulse to recover your development cost... I am an independent consultant who can appreciate the value of your intellectual property and the effort you have expended. However, I believe that customer appreciation is an important component of a successful business model. The current pricing structure does not make me feel appreciated...

I am seriously interested in purchasing your upgrade - but I will have to decide whether the $110 is worth it, or if I am better off spending $399 for the upgrade to Studio8 which include much more transition functionality in Flash than you are offering through your DM extension.

Cheers,

Eric<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'><font size=2></font id=size2><font color=navy></font id=navy>
Replied 30 Dec 2005 01:35:05
30 Dec 2005 01:35:05 Eric Popoff replied:
Happy Holidays George!

I am a little dismayed that you didn't respond to my concerns that previous customers are in fact paying more overall than new customers for the Active Slideshow Pro.

New Customers: $139

Prior Customers: $ 59 - already paid
$110
Total $169

It would seem to me that existing customers would at least receive the same overall pricing as new customers. Most developers follow this practice (if they don't actually give existing customers a BETTER deal to encourage return business); would you at least consider rewarding us "loyal" customers with an $80 upgrade pricing?

Thanks for your great work on this extension!

Eric
Replied 31 Dec 2005 21:37:53
31 Dec 2005 21:37:53 Jeremy Conn replied:
I have to agree on this issue - people who purchased <b>Active Slideshow</b> should at least get a better discount than $29.00.
Just my 2 cents - I love all the DMXZone products and own almost all of them, but I am very hesitant to upgrade to this product for $110.00 when the one I already bought does 75% the same things.

Happy New Year, everyone.

<b>Jeremy Conn</b>
www.conncreativemedia.com
DWMX2004 | ASP/VB | Access/SQL2000
Replied 12 Jan 2006 23:25:31
12 Jan 2006 23:25:31 paul frost replied:
I agree, that we investors in you first attempt at Active Slideshow have been used.
We took a risk by being early adopters when the product had no history.
After trying it out on us guinee pigs, getting feedback, you produce the product that it should have been to start with, and then you expect us to pay more than newcomers.
Replied 14 Jan 2006 07:04:58
14 Jan 2006 07:04:58 yikes ahootie replied:
I have to agree with my fellow posters here -- the current pricing structure is nonsensical. Please let us know when you reconsider.
Replied 21 Feb 2006 23:47:30
21 Feb 2006 23:47:30 Daniel Hovis replied:
I agree with these post too.
As a long time DMX product user I consistantly see that initial product offerings are a little rough and cost more than other similar products. Upgrades should never cost more for existing users.

Support is spotty

I would really like to see lower upgrade costs and better support.

Daniel Hoviss

Reply to this topic