Forums

CSS

This topic is locked

Website displays differently

Posted 30 May 2006 16:53:34
has voted
30 May 2006 16:53:34 kirsty burgoine posted:
Hi,
I've created my own website and written an external Style sheet for it. Everything works perfectly in Firefox on my work computer (15" monitor) and my home computer (17" monitor) but when I view it in IE strange things happen.

I've got it to look almost the same in both Browsers but in IE the links move when you roll over them.

Also when I view it on a larger monitor (21" monitor) the positioning of everything is wrong. The three columns stay in the right place but because everything centres the main content runs over the edge of the background image which is fixed. The pictures inside my content box also move so their alignment is wrong.

Is there a way to fix everything in its place that works on both Firefox and IE? I only have Firefox at home (I am a Mac user Yey!) so it has to work on both. Or, I've seen some websites that seem to set an exact size in pixels and then leave any spare screen on the right blank. Is that a good way to go?

Here is the website:
www.postcards.batcave.net
(excuse the awful banner that only works occasionally. I will use a different host once I have got it all working right).

And you can see my external CSS here:
postcards.batcave.net/Postcards.css

Is there a better way to achieve my three column layout that appears correctly no matter what platform/monitor/resolution etc?

I hope someone can help.

Kirsty

Kirsty

Reply to this topic