Scroller Genie Support Product Page

This topic is locked
This topic was archived

problems with suckerfish dropdown and scroller

Asked 01 Sep 2006 18:47:43
has this question
01 Sep 2006 18:47:43 yolanda gene posted:
Hi,

I'm having a problem (only in IE) with the suckerfish dropdown menu which seems to hide behind the scroller genie. I've altered the z-index, and that solved the problem for Firefox (both mac and PC) and it works fine in Safari too. But IE for PC continues to have the problem.

Another problem I have with IE is that the scroller bar doesn't appear for my first scroller (introductie). The content appears but not the arrows. It works fine for the second scroller (merken) though.

Also, I've anchored the scroller to an image (a small transparent gif) which is placed inside a div, as my layout is all css and I've not used tables. The scroller loads in the right place, but when I resize the window it doesn't move with the page. The funny thing is that if I reload the page in the same resized window it appears in the right place.

Take a look at the problems I've mentioned at www.dutchdesigncenter.nl

I hope you can help!

Thanks,

Yolanda

Replies

Replied 01 Sep 2006 19:10:02
01 Sep 2006 19:10:02 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
<b>1) Regarding the z-index problem:</b>
You might try the solution outlined here www.dmxzone.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=34516, to use relative positioning instead of absolute positioning for the scroller.
And then on top of that you can try deleting the z-index specifications alltogether.

<b>2) Regarding the positioning on window resize:</b>
If you implement relative scroller positioning as explained above, then this issue will immediately also be fixed.

<b>3) Regarding hte scroller bar:</b>
I need some time to look into that, but I don't have time right now. I will get back to you on that one.

Please let me know whether the first 2 issues are solved after following my suggestions.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/

Edited by - MarjaR on 01 Sep 2006 19:10:34

Edited by - MarjaR on 01 Sep 2006 19:11:14
Replied 02 Sep 2006 01:10:49
02 Sep 2006 01:10:49 yolanda gene replied:
Hi Marja,

The relative positioning of the outer layer has actually solved two problems: the scroller bar now shows in IE and the positioning problem with the resizing of the browser window is solved.

Unfortunately the z-index problem still isn't solved. I also deleted the show/hide layers behavior so that the scroller genie wouldn't load last. But still no luck. I also deleted the z-index as you suggested. The suckerfish has a z-index value of 100.

Thanks for your help, I hope you have more suggestions about the z-index problem!

Yolanda
Replied 04 Sep 2006 17:12:29
04 Sep 2006 17:12:29 yolanda gene replied:
Hi Marja,

I've been trying all weekend to get rid of the z-index problem in IE but still no luck. I've even tried getting rid of the iFrame. I did read another post on this forum with a similar problem, but the dropdown menus were generated with js. There was no final answer on the forum from the person who had posted the question, but I looked on the site they were referring to and the dropdowns show properly in iE.

The only problem is that I'm using a suckerfish dropdown menu which doesn't use js, so I couldn't change the z-index in the script as suggested, only in the css.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Yolanda
Replied 04 Sep 2006 17:20:15
04 Sep 2006 17:20:15 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
If several elements have the same z-index, then the element that is last in the source code (loaded last) will be displayed on top of the other ones. That's standard CSS behavior in most if not all browsers.

Maybe you can do something about the location of the Scroller Genie source code in your source?

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 04 Sep 2006 17:39:15
04 Sep 2006 17:39:15 yolanda gene replied:
The css of the dropdown menu has a z-indez of 100. I've tried making the z-index of the scroller genie have a lower z-index and even removed the z-index alltogether, but still no luck. It works in all browsers except IE.
I've placed the scroller genie code inside a div to position it relatively as suggested in your first post. I really don't know what to try now!

Yolanda
Replied 04 Sep 2006 17:53:53
04 Sep 2006 17:53:53 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
Hi Yolanda,

I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas as well. I wish I could help you further, but I really can't.

The issue you're having here is more a CSS issue than a Scroller Genie issue perse, because this issue has nothing to do with the scroller scripting. And code-wise the scroller is just regular HTML and CSS.
Maybe you can post a question about this in some advanced CSS forum/newsgroup.

Please let us know if you ever find the solution.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl
Replied 05 Sep 2006 09:51:53
05 Sep 2006 09:51:53 yolanda gene replied:
I've solved it by placing z-index:9999 in #menu instead of on all the ul's in the css.
Replied 05 Sep 2006 10:07:52
05 Sep 2006 10:07:52 Marja Ribbers-de Vroed replied:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I've solved it by placing z-index:9999 in #menu instead of on all the ul's in the css.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
I'm glad you solved it.
And thanks for letting us know.

--
Marja de Vroed
www.clubwebware.nl
www.prikhetop.nl

Reply to this topic