Forums

This topic is locked

Images Not "growing" in maximized browser window.

Posted 28 Apr 2007 23:57:45
has voted
28 Apr 2007 23:57:45 debra Mullins posted:
I'm building my first website in DrmMX. I can't figure out how to make the pages "grow" to the size of the browser window. When the browser window is maximized the page images stay the same size and the right side of the page is simply background.

Please help!!

Thanks,
dm

Replies

Replied 29 Apr 2007 13:26:44
29 Apr 2007 13:26:44 Kenneth Halley replied:
You can make the page layout flow with the browser size- the ways of doing it could run to pages but in short use percentages for your dimensions- ie a sidebar at 25% and content at 70%, that way as the browser shrinks or grows the areas take up the corresponding space.

Regarding images though - its not normal to have these shrink and grow. ideally you optimise your image to be the size you want it to appear in your page and its fixed.

Its also not usually a good idea to post up a picture of say 200 x 200px then constrain its size to 100px x 100px (just as an example)- the user still needs to download the 200 x 200 px image and then their browser resizes it- usually with the result it looks rubbish and the page weight is heavier than necessary- ie. the amount of kilo bits needed to download.

Make your images th esize they need to be and then load them to your site without enforcing the size. the only place its usually OK to specify a size for an image of a different size is with things like spaces like a 1px x 1px gif spacer- where you might want to stretch it to something bigger to fit a table cell if your using a table layout. As its usually a flat colour or transparent you can get away with this.

HTH
Kenny

-----------------------------------
www.halleynet.co.uk
Replied 30 Apr 2007 07:30:27
30 Apr 2007 07:30:27 debra Mullins replied:
Thanks for all the info. It was helpful!

Reply to this topic