Forums

This topic is locked

Updating Pages with Templates

Posted 30 Jun 2007 20:07:25
has voted
30 Jun 2007 20:07:25 Jon O posted:
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to DW8 and I've created a 100-page site using a master template (including a large editable region for page-specific content). The problem I am running into is that when I attempt to change the template (adding a layer or two outside of the editable region) and save/update the other pages... the content of the child pages gets royally screwed up. For example, I just added an empty layer to the template, updated, and the contents of a layer in one of the child pages moved itself to the new layer? I am quite confused and wonder if it has somthing to do with properties of the CSS? I dont have problems updating small items, i.e. the position of one of the "original" layers in the template, changing a font, etc. but when I try to add additional layers, the problem described above occurs very frequently.

Thank you all in advance for your help... this is extremely frustrating and I dont want to edit each page individually. Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing ideas/suggestions soon.

Best,

Jon O

Replies

Replied 01 Jul 2007 19:20:07
01 Jul 2007 19:20:07 Javier Castro replied:
Templates can be very frustrating, as I found myself a few weeks ago, where I had to do similar modifications as the one you mention. The short of it is that templates affect all your pages based on that. So, if you have to add a new layer, it will add the layer to all the pages based on your template. However, if you need this new layer only in one or two pages you could add the layer instead and not use the template. Of course all depends where your layer would be. I would suggest to check if you can use INCLUDE files instead of using DW templates. I personally do that.

Good luck,

J.
Replied 11 Jul 2007 00:02:08
11 Jul 2007 00:02:08 Jon O replied:
Javier,

Thanks for responding! I FINALLY figured it out. Apparently, to my dismay I was not using nested layers for my site and when I updated all the pages it would reorganize each one individually. By going through my ENTIRE site and manually nesting each layer inside each other, it eventually worked. I appreciate the response tremendously.

Reply to this topic