Forums

PHP

This topic is locked

How to link live database to web site...?

Posted 05 Sep 2008 03:53:35
has voted
05 Sep 2008 03:53:35 JC T posted:
I've just started with a company that has begun setup of eCommerceTemplates, which I have not used before.
www.ecommercetemplates.com

They want to use their web site to allow customers to order replacement parts. (This is a manufacturing facility.) All of the data is in AS400 MACPAC, yet they have been entering categories & products manually into a separate database connected to the web site through PHP via the eCommerceTemplate, used in Dreamweaver.

The company would like the site to filter by customer and by what machine they have purchased, so that only relevant parts appear on screen. This sounds like a live data link to me... but I haven't yet been able to connect with a live person at eCommerceTemplates to see if this is possible. From what I've read thus far, I'm not hopeful about this as a solution.

This is my first week in a new job, so I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth... but it seems there should be a better way to do what they want. I have experience with web site & database design. I know enough to see possibilities but don't have all the pieces to put this puzzle together.

I don't know how much the company paid for eCommerceTemplates, but if there's a better way I'd certainly propose it to them - after I'm well informed, of course.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JC

Reply to this topic