Active Slideshow Pro Support Product Page

This topic was archived

Slide Show Not Showing in Firefox

Asked 18 Nov 2008 01:46:23
has this question
18 Nov 2008 01:46:23 Tammy Walker posted:
Hi All,

I have a slide show made with Active Slide Show Pro which is showing perfectly in IE but will only half run in Firefox (just the music and the film grain will run)

www.curlygrrlz.com

My version of Firefox 2.0.0.18
My version of IE 7.0.6

Replies

Replied 19 Nov 2008 17:06:18
19 Nov 2008 17:06:18 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

Check the following article and try to troubleshoot you Apache server. The error is not in the extension.

www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apache-403-forbidden-error-and-solution/

Regards,

M.Zografski

-----------------------------------
DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 19 Nov 2008 18:42:41
19 Nov 2008 18:42:41 Tammy Walker replied:
Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for the reply. My server people responded with the following:

Hi Tammy,

Strange, I was able to reproduce your problem, however, I have not noticed this before. Could you please ask your developer regarding the settings required on the server. The troubleshooting steps you pasted above are for forbidden or not found errors which are easily tracable through apache logs. Your site does not give any error in the logs or in appearance, other than the missing images in FF.
AllowOverride is already enabled and you can write apache rules in .htaccess files for your account as a requirement stated above in your post.
Please provide us the exact requirements for the above content to be displayed on your site, so that we can check if there is anything on the server conflicting it. Also, check permissions of images being loaded in the flash content. The permissions for directories should be 755, regular files should be 644 and for images 755 as well.
Please advise.

Can you please give me specific requirements so they can guide me through this. If this is resolved I will put the answer up here for future users.

Thank you for the support!!!

Replied 20 Nov 2008 11:23:14
20 Nov 2008 11:23:14 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

Extension can operate at minimum access to the live server - it need to get the images, the swf file and the xml file. Everything else is done on client's machine.
I must point out that have never before experienced such issue with Apache. The problem is that I have access to list the directory with the images, can view then each image, but cannot access it directly.

What else I manage to find on this issue was that headers may not be set correctly, but this will then occur not only in the Slideshow.

I'll continue search for some kind of explanation of this issue as well.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 20 Nov 2008 14:46:58
20 Nov 2008 14:46:58 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

What else I found out was that when image is requested it sends a header that identifies it as text:
<pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>
Response Headers
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:45:01 GMT
Server Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/
1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Keep-Alive timeout=15, max=99
Connection Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding chunked
Content-Type <b>text/html</b>; charset=iso-8859-1
</font id=code></pre id=code>

you can speak with your server guys to see where that confusion comes from.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 20 Nov 2008 14:54:27
20 Nov 2008 14:54:27 Tammy Walker replied:

Thanks for the investigation. i have forwarded all to the server people for their explanation to your questions. I will update this forum as soon as I can. by the way I love this extension!
Replied 20 Nov 2008 14:59:26
20 Nov 2008 14:59:26 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tam,

Thanks for the kind feedback, I'll await for their response.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 20 Nov 2008 15:39:44
20 Nov 2008 15:39:44 Tammy Walker replied:
Okay, here is another twist:

I have a different show running on the same server (under another client) and it is working in Firefox www.tedcummingsinsurance.com

I have remade the show which is not performing well 3 times. I have since taken off the fancy text I was using because I thought that may have something to do with it after your last note.

Didn't work - so maybe the key will be in investigation on the site Active Slide Show does work on. I am not running the film grain on the other site so I took it off on curlygrrlz.com also but that did not work. The only difference in the site is that curlygrrlz.com is running php 5 and tedcummingsinsurance.com is running php 4

I also put up a text page on a stripped down page running no other javascript www.curlygrrlz.com/testshow.html - still did not work.
Replied 22 Nov 2008 20:35:50
22 Nov 2008 20:35:50 Tammy Walker replied:
Hi Miroslav, here is the response:

Thank you for the detailed explanation and follow up with this. I have read the ticket collected the information and check the related logs on the server. I completely understand the scenario and know few things that can help.

The very first step is to reproduce this issue. I first checked the Firefox and was not able to see the slideshow. Then I checked it in the IE and was able to see the slideshow so the problem was reproduced. Now we need to find out the root cause of why it is not working in FF.

The first thing we need to check is server configuration and settings. It has been verified that all are setup as required you mentioned above and permissions/ownerships are correct too. Most importantly if any error is thrown by the Apache, it must be logged but it isn't the case. So the web server was not facing any kind of problem delivering the response to the client.

So now we need to check how actually the application is working. This type of slideshows work mostly on client side. That means it has nothing to do with the server end. The web server delivers the contents and if finally comes to browser which is going to display it. FF is not able to show the slides but IE did. As the developer states that it is using a specific header with the file and I believe there is most likely the header which FF does not like or it does not match FF requirements. May be FF is not able to parse it or may be some sort of module is missing in it which is required to make it work.

We are sorry to say that this issue is not related with server side configuration or setting because if there would be any issue, the script should not work in IE too. This problem is application specific and most likely related to client side configuration. Either you need to check this with the developer to fix it and re-write the header or whatever is required to work it in FF or make sure FF has all required settings to be able to run this slideshow.

Replied 24 Nov 2008 10:58:17
24 Nov 2008 10:58:17 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

I'm sorry bout this discussion taking so long, but I cannot agree with server support guys. First of all IE ignores headers and that's why the slide show works there. Also FireFox cannot re-write the header which is coming from the server and it is agreeing whit it and forbids the access to the image. I have tested it whit Opera, Chrome and Safari and on each of those browsers header 403(forbidden) is sent. Opera and Chrome ignore the header and display the content. Safari does not ignore it and give an error. And I'm not talking bout the slide show now. I have checked this with the image only - www.curlygrrlz.com/images/miro.jpg.
After a little more testing I manage to get to the end of the problem and unfortunately it is in the server settings. When the browser requests a image (no matter which browser) it does not sent referrer header, so server rejects the request sending 403 Error. But if I go to directory listing and click on the image link my request get a referrer header and server puts me through. Apache can have different access settings for each directory so on one server you can have two sites and one to be broken and other to work.

Here is the header sent from server to Opera after direct request fro the image :

Error 403(Forbidden):
» Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:23:50 GMT
» Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/
5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
» Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=98
» Connection: Keep-Alive
» Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

But Opera displays the image.
Here is the header when I go to the image from directory listing:

OK (200)
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:54:02 GMT
Server Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/
5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Last-Modified Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:19:40 GMT
Etag "2c901f8-bad6-492571fc"
Accept-Ranges bytes
Content-Length 47830
Keep-Alive timeout=15, max=95
Connection Keep-Alive
Content-Type image/jpeg

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 24 Nov 2008 17:54:26
24 Nov 2008 17:54:26 Tammy Walker replied:
Yes I agree with you. Something does not make sense here. Why can't the image be viewed? So obviously it is their problem. I will forward to them all your points. Thank you for the input and help with this, but I too can see this being a server issue.

Once again, I love this product and appreciate all the time you gave this issue!

Sincerely,
Tammy
Replied 24 Nov 2008 18:11:50
24 Nov 2008 18:11:50 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

I have to defend my product, as well as my client.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 25 Nov 2008 00:03:52
25 Nov 2008 00:03:52 Tammy Walker replied:
Hi Miroslav,

Simple this time, do you have the .fla source files for the borders? I like them but need to alter colors and such. I would like all if you have them.
Replied 25 Nov 2008 11:22:34
25 Nov 2008 11:22:34 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

You must have them in a location like following:
for XP
C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;%currentuser%&gt;\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration\shared\DMXzone\Active Slideshow Pro\Overlaysfor Vista:
C:\Users\&lt;%currentuser%&gt;\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration\shared\DMXzone\Active Slideshow Pro\Overlays

there should all .fla files for all overlays be.

Regards,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 25 Nov 2008 23:06:41
25 Nov 2008 23:06:41 Tammy Walker replied:
Vista won't give access to that directory no matter what I try. I am the admin with full priviledges. Vista must be the worst operating system every created! Any suggestions?
Replied 26 Nov 2008 17:50:14
26 Nov 2008 17:50:14 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

I had a spell mistake in vista's folders and I've corrected it. Btw, you may need to review your hidden folders, because al shortcuts are restricted in Vista (don't know why). AppData is hidden one.

Regrads,

M.Zografski

DMXZone.com Support Team
Replied 14 Apr 2009 19:51:02
14 Apr 2009 19:51:02 Tammy Walker replied:
Some time back I had requested a verification code because I could register behind my companies proxy server. The code below is what you gave me and worked well. I just had an upgrade yesterday to Dreamweaver CS4 and the extension stopped working. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but of course the verification is out of date.

THEREFORE, CAN YOU PLEAS ISSUE ME ANOTHER VERIFICATION CODE?

Could not find another place to post this.
Replied 15 Apr 2009 14:11:30
15 Apr 2009 14:11:30 Miroslav Zografski replied:
Hi Tammy,

You have e-mail.

Regards,
Replied 15 Apr 2009 15:18:52
15 Apr 2009 15:18:52 Tammy Walker replied:

Yes,

Also are there any plans for this program to be updated and/or improved. It really is a great product and I would love to see it go even further!

Thanks for your help, as always
Tammy

Reply to this topic